Is "beginning game programming with c++" worth it?

Started by
2 comments, last by SKATIN_HARD 18 years, 9 months ago
I've been teaching myself c++ for over a year now. I mean, I'm not great at game making whatsoever, but is the beginning c++ game that teaches you how to make blackjack and stuff worth it? I mean, I've never really tried to make a game before, except pong. Should I bypass it and move onto something else, or what? Gardon
Advertisement
Not the first time the question is asked on GameDev :)

Anyway, the answer is: what do YOU want?

I personnaly like programming in C++. In really enjoy the coding phase, and I almost feel a sense of deep joy when passing my argument as a const reference of a nicely const correct object (okay, I'm exagerating just a bit!). Since I enjoy this, I programm my games in C++.

Now, just look at what you want to achieve. If you want to quickly go to some more advanced game concepts and designs, it may be a good idea to go to some language with a faster learning curve (C# of Java, if I really have to mention them). The same applies for the libraries available: if you want some GUI, it might be easier to use Swing, or .NET.

Going for a simpler language can be great because it reduces the length difficults moments when you want to throw everything by the window because of some stupid little problem. So, why not?
Thanks
If you wanna program in c++, I would say the book is good. If you wanna start making games in another language, you could check out python and pygame.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement