Woah woah woah...back up!

Started by
6 comments, last by JD 18 years, 9 months ago
Programming role playing games with directx (2nd edition) and Programming role playing games with directx are two totally different books it looks like. I bought the 2nd edition, thinking that it was just a suped up version of the first, with updated examples and source code. Has anyone read both of these books??? Can someone tell me if the first really is the first edition (in a series) or is it just a lowered version of the 2nd edition. I really need to know because if it is a completely different book, then I might want to read the first edition before even looking at the second. Thanks, Gardon
Advertisement
Table of contents of 1st Edition and 2nd Edition. It looks like the 2nd edition cuts out a few sections from the first book and adds a few more, but they both have mostly the same information.

C++: A Dialog | C++0x Features: Part1 (lambdas, auto, static_assert) , Part 2 (rvalue references) , Part 3 (decltype) | Write Games | Fix Your Timestep!

It sucks though, cause the people on amazon.com gave the 2nd one terrible reviews, while appraising the first editon.
You can probably find both versions on sites like Half.com in case Amazon only sells the 2nd edition

Hope this helps

Eric
Quote:Original post by Gardon
It sucks though, cause the people on amazon.com gave the 2nd one terrible reviews, while appraising the first editon.

Generally, reader reviews on Amazon.com are useless. I've bought books with rave reviews that I found totally useless. I've also bought books with bad reviews that I find myself referencing all the time. The only real test of whether a book will be worth the money for you is to read it.
I think the reviews on amazon are okay... I agree tho, once in a while a really good book gets a crap review or vica versa. The best way I've found to figure out if a book is good is by looking at the table of contents and seeing if they cover stuff that's actually useful. Usually they have it available on amazon- if not, then google for it.
Thanks everyone
...and also in how many pages the topic is discussed in. :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement