Sign in to follow this  
morteoh

Maya exporter, binormals and tangents

Hi, I'm creating a simple maya exporter, and i have vertices/indices/normals/uvs and all that already. Q1) is it possible to extract binormals/tangents from maya like you can in 3ds max? I'm using MitPolygonMesh to extract all my info now, and it doesn't seem to do what i want. Q2) is it possible to have maya export only triangledata? or do i have to do the actual triangulation myself? (quads -> triangles isn't a big problem, but still). MitPolygonMesh seems to have functions for getting triangles, but i just can't seem to figure them out. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Quote:
Original post by morteoh
Q1) is it possible to extract binormals/tangents from maya like you can in 3ds max? I'm using MitPolygonMesh to extract all my info now, and it doesn't seem to do what i want.

No. You'll have to calculate them. That should be fairly straightforward though.

Quote:
Q2) is it possible to have maya export only triangledata? or do i have to do the actual triangulation myself? (quads -> triangles isn't a big problem, but still). MitPolygonMesh seems to have functions for getting triangles, but i just can't seem to figure them out.

yeah, i just ignore that and use MDagModifier, ie

// triangulate all meshes
MDagModifier mod;
mod.commandToExecute("select -r `ls -type mesh`; Triangulate");
mod.doIt();

// do export

// undo traingulation
mod.undoIt();

Guest Anonymous Poster
In Maya 6.5 there is a getTangents in the mesh class. This has been introduced since that version.

How do you extract the data from Max though? Max support told me they don't store the tangents.