Sign in to follow this  
vcGamer

terrain collapsing

hi everybody I'm going to implenent some cool effects into my terrain game, and of these possible effects is the phenomenon of collapsing some parts of the land due to an explosion (or something similar), perhaps you've seen worm 3d, the technique used is really fantastic, what's going behind the scene? can I still use a mesh? can I take advantage of shaders? thanks

If you're just using a height map type landscape, you simply subtract from each vertex altitude. Not sure what else you're asking. There may be some smoothing required. Try using the explosion location and generating a falloff bubble from there. The farther from the point, the less the altitude change. Since it probably only happens in one single instance, there's not much shaders are going to do to help you.

Worms 3d uses a voxel landscape; except the voxels are really big. If you blow a hole in the ground in worms, you probably notice the insides look like blocks, almost as if the world were made of legos. Each block is a voxel.