MP3 to OGG conversion

Started by
2 comments, last by jbadams 18 years, 9 months ago
Greetings all... I went to the music and sounds area of this web site and it took me to this forum. I read about OGG and the MP3 licensing issues. (Could you imagine selling your game for $15000 a copy just to make a profit?) I don't know if the MP3 licensing issue will effect me or not because 5000 copies would put my company on the map and that's all I'm after. But, I am safer going with OGG. So I will go with OGG. However, amature bands don't release their music files in OGG format. So is there a way for me to convert MP3s to OGG and is there a website for OGG encoding/decoding and codec? Thanks a bunch!
Advertisement
www.vorbis.com is probably the best starting point of you plan to use OGG in your application.

But I believe Audacity will let you convert between the two.
You've been a huge help...

<--- Wishes he had the MP3 patent.
Converting between the two is a bad idea if you can at all avoid it however. They're both 'lossy' formats, which means they discard some data in order to have smaller filesize. The thing is, each format discards different data. Luckily a lot of people won't actually be able to notice the slight loss of quality, so if you must you can still make the conversion and use the files. Note that converting from one into wav (which is lossless) format and then to the other won't help; The disgarded information is gone forever from the file once it's been compressed into mp3 or vorbis.

What this means is that you should either try to get the music/sound in wav (or some other lossless format) and convert that to your format of choice, or should request that whoever produces the music/sound provide it to you encoded in the correct format.

I understand that this sometimes isn't actually an option, but I just thought I'd bring it up. [smile]

- Jason Astle-Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement