Sign in to follow this  
bmorency

php and mysql. retrieving records older than 10 minutes

Hi, I am kinda new to mysql and I am writing a php function to retrieve records that are older than 10 minutes old. I have been spending a lot of time on this function and nothing is working for me. I have a column that is a DATETIME type called 'datetime' that has the date and time the record was entered into the DB. Here is the query i am using. $query = "SELECT * FROM ".usertable." WHERE DATE_SUB(CURDATE(),INTERVAL 10 MINUTE) > datetime"; i am not sure why nothing is getting deleted. if I switch the greater than sign to a less than sign it will clear the table even though some records can be less than 10 minutes old. Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be? thanks for any help.

sorry. i forgot to mention that the records that should be getting returned using this select statement are being deleted by a delete function that I have made. they are not being deleted by this select statement.

Try storing date & time as a BIGINT. I find this datatype much easier to work with especially when calculating differences between 2 timestamps.

In PHP..
$time = time(); // get time as long int

// covert to string eg: '26/5/2005 5:26 pm'
$date_str = date("d/m/y g.i a", $time);