Why can't ATI or NVidia include GLUT in samples?

Started by
6 comments, last by _the_phantom_ 18 years, 9 months ago
<rant> Just a minor annoyance, but is there any reason why NVidia or ATI aren't allowed to bundle the GLut runtime with their sample code? Double checking if Cg or GLSL is supported on my older hardware is annoying enough on a machine without a compiler, but to have to track down something that should be packaged with working sample code is even more frustrating.. grr...:) </rant>
Advertisement
Our SDK OpenGL examples are using GLUT exclusively which is only natural since Mark Kilgard -the author of GLUT- is one of our engineers.
I believe this is what you were asking unless I misunderstood your post then of course feel free to put me on the right track :)

Quote:Original post by JavaCoolDude
Our SDK OpenGL examples ...

Our? You work at nVidia, then?
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Yes I do [smile]
Our SDK OpenGL examples are using GLUT exclusively which is only natural since Mark Kilgard -the author of GLUT- is one of our engineers.
I believe this is what you were asking unless I misunderstood your post then of course feel free to put me on the right track :)

I think he was infact complaining about the lack of the glut dll in the sample downloads, not the useage of it [smile]
Yeah I had a funny feeling he meant something along those lines and yet I took the wrong direction, my bad [wink]
I can't go into much on why we don't include the runtime DLL without giving away the details behind the SDK making, but to make it easier for you, here's a direct link to what you've requested. Click to download
Having said that, let me talk to my manager about your concerns, I'm positive we can work this out [smile]
PS: Hey Phantom, did you ever end up getting that GeForce 6600 GT for your article?
Quote:Original post by _the_phantom_

I think he was infact complaining about the lack of the glut dll in the sample downloads, not the useage of it [smile]

Yup, exactly right. :)

Thanks JavaCoolDude. Google returns the runtime as the first hit, and it's easy to download and put the dll in the environment path....

I just think I shouldn't have to, that's all. Maybe it's crazy talk, but I figure that if pre-compiled sample binaries ship with a library or SDK, then they should work out of the box. If its needs pre-requisites, than it should include them.

Anyways, I do appreciate all the hard work that goes into making these SDK's and samples, and I realize that you're not obligated to create them at all..:)

So my life won't end because I have to click the mouse a few more times to search and install something..;)

Just providing some feedback that's all.

thanks!
PS: Hey Phantom, did you ever end up getting that GeForce 6600 GT for your article?

Nope, in the end I didnt, mostly because I couldnt afford it in the end (going back to Collage in a couple of months, so need to restrict my out goings) and I realised that for testing I could use a p-buffer with multiple AUX buffers and since then ATI have also released a (slightly buggy) FBO capaible driver (you have to force the extension to load as its not in the extension string), so end of the day I couldnt justify the expense to myself... which is always a bugger, heh

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement