I hate it when people go to school or work sick

Started by
16 comments, last by Chokki 18 years, 9 months ago
And as far as saying "stupid enough not to go to the doctor", well, the doctor ain't free and sure ain't cheap. If I went to the doctor everytime I felt questionable on my ability to work, I'd be indebted to doctors forever. Saying "go to the doctor" every time you feel ill is sort of stupid thing to say.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Stonicus
And as far as saying "stupid enough not to go to the doctor", well, the doctor ain't free and sure ain't cheap. If I went to the doctor everytime I felt questionable on my ability to work, I'd be indebted to doctors forever. Saying "go to the doctor" every time you feel ill is sort of stupid thing to say.

No one said questionable on your ablity to work. Its quite obvious when your sick though. Doctors are cheap if you have insurance, the co-pay for the doctors appointment usually is pretty cheap.
Whoa, these are real horror stories here !

At our company, you are not allowed to come to work, if you're sick. If you do, and you have something contagious, then this can lead to immediate termination of your employment contract. The reason is very simple: better have one employee less on the team for a couple of days or a week, than your entire team being sick.

On the other hand, doctors are free here, sick days are paid, and don't pool with vacation days, so you'll rarely have an employee show up when he's sick ;) Fortunately, we didn't encounter major cases of abuse, although some people will obviously do it. OTOH, I prefer an employee not showing with a hangover - the quality of his work will definitely suffer from this. What sucks a little, is that we have to pay them full salary when they stay at home, as long as they have a paper from a doctor. But well, that's the law. And you can still fire them for something unrelated, if they have an unusually high sickness ratio ;)
The work situation in this country is really bad for health in general. Things are so fast paced that workers are often not allowed, or "discouraged" (in other words, if you have a habit of sick days, you may not be promoted) to take sick days unless deathly ill. This results in more sick people, with everyone pushing themselvs so they do not recover as quickly, as well as an increased consumer call for prescription medicine for small ailments, so you can "get over it" and get back to work, which in the long run is contributing greatly to the over-prescription of antibiotics and the increasing threat of drug-resistant pathogens.
Like a lot of the above posters have mentioned. Sick and vacation days are often lumped together and (time)accumulated for both at the same rate or fixed at a static rate for each calander year. I would rather go into work sick and save my "sick" days for something enjoyable. Also as a lot of posters above have mentioned, it is often frowned upon to be absent from work sick or not. If you are not there being "productive", they will find someone else who will be.
Students in UK (16-18 year olds) get paid for going to college if their household income is below a certain level (there is 3 levels, the people with the lowest household incomes get the most for attending college). If you miss one less during the week you miss out on that weeks payment, thats a whole £30 (~$45) gone, people come in ill to get their payment.
Where I work we get sick days, I believe we earn one every 16 work days, approximately (sick days are calculated as a percentage of your work hours). They are separate from vacation. Going to the doctor in Canada is free, with the average prescription for simple illnesses being around $20.

Due to this situation, people generally don't think twice about calling in sick. What bothers me is when I take some sick days, maybe one a month, with the odd extra, and then someone expresses to me that I've been taking too many sick days. Then I try to explain to them that maybe, just maybe, I have some illness(es) that cause me to get sick more often.

I'm not a fan of those that take a sick day just to have a day off. However, if you're in a really terrible mood, or something awful has happened in life, I think it's okay to take a sick day. I do that every once in a while, especially when family members and friends have passed away. I just pretend to be sick, because I know that even if I did show up to work, I'd do a terrible job.
Life's Short. Make Games.
I was wretching up bile and had an awful headache about a week ago (no, not from a hangover [grin]), about 30 minutes before I was expected to be at work. If I called them only a half hour before I had to be in, I would have been written up for not giving them enough warning.

What I did, then, was go to work sick, explain to my manager that I wasn't feeling well-but was willing to stay if they couldn't find a replacement-and that i shouldn't be at work. This was the correct thing to do, she told me to go home and go back to bed.
Quote:Original post by EtnuBwahaha. I would've shot the guy in the balls.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement