Rotate bitmap arbitrary -WIN32 3d viewer

Started by
8 comments, last by commy2005 18 years, 9 months ago
Hi expert and guys including ladies, I really tearing my hair out of my head.I still cannot rotate a bitmap in 3d-space.I read the gamedev's Bitmap Rotation by Mike Morton.I still having problem.:( ..I ohpe someone could give me a good explaination on it.I can't seem to rotate a bitmap on the 3d-space.I could rotate in x and y but not z yet.Hope someone could give me an idea doing it.:( confused, commy [Edited by - commy2005 on July 12, 2005 2:05:12 AM]
Advertisement
There must be something wrong with what you are doing as if you can rotate x,y; you should be able to do the z-axis also.
I was writing in Win32 not directx.:( ...I found it hard to figure out that part on the Win32 program.Thanx for your reply
You don't want to do this with Win32 API, especially if you are not an experienced programmer. Start learning OpenGL or DirectX - they are industry standard for 3D games. They are hardware optimised and relatively easy to work with. Or, you could make it even easier on yourself and start with SDL or some other library that simplifies their use - they are kind of confusing, and I sometimes struggle with them, being no expert myself. Best of luck to you.
my siteGenius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration
a) Create a Quad in 3D space
b) Texture map the bitmap onto the Quad
c) Apply the Rotation Matrix to the Quad
Acepilot suggestion sounds more like Directx to me.I did that in directx.It was so easy and much more convienent than Win32.Win32 is a killer man if you need to write out the rotation algo function to use it.I finally believe that I need to start on Directx now.I have been stuck in Win32 for a while.Didn't have that courage to jump into directx,but I guess finally is time.

Thanx guys.All the best for you guys who replied me.

commy2005
I dont know about you but It was heck a lot easier in OpenGL.

You don't really have to write your own rotation routines in Win32, you
can use existing 3D math libraries. The fact is, that Win32 isn't really built
for 3D, so it's better to just not bother with Win32.

Good luck with your switch to DirectX,

AcePilot
Thanx acepilot,thanx for good luck charm.I actually came across a 3d viewer in WIN32 just then while I was googling.I was not happy when I found out that there are such things in the NET.I found out that it was really hard but I can't seem to figure out how to map a bitmap(or others format) to it. If you interested,maybe I will post the link for it.

Commy
Youre welcome.

A 3D viewer in Win32? Wow. Can I have the link so I can check it out?
Yeah,you can..but If you find out how to map texture to it let me know,mates!

here is the link:
http://www.codeguru.com/Cpp/G-M/multimedia/graphics/article.php/c4727/

If you have any chance to get the texture part working,at least write a article about it.Or let me know how you do it.I want to map texture to it too.Of course the speed of the stuff are too slow to use for games.But I wish I could change the way it is to map texture like direct3d does.

regards,
Commy

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement