Creating 3d game editor

Started by
4 comments, last by vidalsasoon 18 years, 9 months ago
i've learned the basic of developing a 3d game... Now i would start a full myown 3d platform in directX. I guess i need to create a 3d game edior before. How could i do? I've create the world inside 3dsmax. In that scene there are all the object the player can collide, for jump, walk, and all the items. Now how could i define propery and method to all this object? Some ideas? Regards. :)
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Say
i've learned the basic of developing a 3d game...
Now i would start a full myown 3d platform in directX.
I guess i need to create a 3d game edior before.
How could i do?
I've create the world inside 3dsmax. In that scene there are all the object the player can collide, for jump, walk, and all the items.
Now how could i define propery and method to all this object?
Some ideas?

Regards. :)

How big is your world? Will it need to be split up into 'chunks' to optomize
rendering?

There are .x format exporters (and a .3ds to .x converter made by MS) do that DirectX can import the data.

Collision of a simpler kind can be done via defining a navigation mesh (a subset surface that the player is restricted to).

Full blown 3D collision will probably require quadtree/octtree/BSP techniques to
implement (I assume MS doesnt have these yet, so you will have to implement it yourself or via borrowed code).

If your editor is to place static 'objects' into your base world mesh, then they would have to be sepearate smaller meshes which the editor would merge into the games 'world' data.

Your editor will probably need to display th world (and objects) the same way
as the player will see them in the game, thus the editor will share the rendering code.

For dynamic objects (ones that move) similar collision testing will be done except they will compare their transformed meshes (and usually you can shortcut
the collision test by using simpler distance calulations to eliminate the need to do more costly collision tests (wont collide when they are too far apart).

There is alot of different mechanisms involved:

Collisions
View culling
Camera control (some samples in DX SDK cover this)
Object movements (physics)
Mesh Animation (if your dynamic objects arent staticly shaped)
Game loop (input controls keyboard,mouse)
Picking (DX SDK has a sample)
Data loading (DX Mesh routines)
Menus for editor options
Behavior logic to control your dynamic objects
Particle generators (for neat special effects -- DX SDK sample)
Sound interface (if you want it - not tto hard to get Direct Sound to play simple collision noises and background music - DXSDK has a sample game)

My world is a big one. I've exported it just empty in .x file.
Then i've create all the object separatly and exported in .x file too.
now how do i place the objects (animated and not, removeable and not) in the world?
How do i define for these methods and properties as boundingBox?
I think you're skipping too many steps.

I'de first suggest just rendering 2 objects on screen and getting your physics/collision detection working (get a 3rd party API IMHO).

Study some samples, understand and take baby steps. All the points mentioned above by AP will have to eventually by addressed.
can you suggest me some link?
If you're using .NET. I liked this one

http://www.thejamesrainenetwork.co.uk/ode/samples/odesamples.html

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement