xbox 360

Started by
9 comments, last by vgmtech 18 years, 9 months ago
Could someone tell me what the resolution is of an HDTV? I'm just wondering what the resolution of the Xbox 360 will be. Also, can you hook up a computer monitor to an Xbox 360 to play? One last thing. Why are all HDTVs so expensive? I can buy a computer monitor that probably has around the same resolution for like $40. Given this, why can't they sell a small HDTV for a reasonable price? Mike C. http://www.coolgroups.com/zoomer
Mike C.http://www.coolgroups.com/zoomer/http://www.coolgroups.com/ez/
Advertisement
I think you can find all the data like that at the xbox site.
Not sure on the resolution, but hopefully more than 1024x768 ;)
I can hook up an HDTV to my computer, as the HDTV has a standard monitor plug, so in theory at least you could do it the other way round, but since TVs all use the same standard for communication, and monitors all need their own drivers, it may be difficult.

Hadn't realized they were more expensive, the screen shouldn't be any more expensive to manufacture, so either there is another very expensive component in there (which I doubt), or they are just keeping the prices high because it is 'new technology'.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

I'm not sure as to the actual resolution of an HDTV, but as for the other questions I am pretty sure I can give an answer.

Quote:can you hook up a computer monitor to an Xbox 360 to play?

The answer to this is most likely no. Not much more to be said really.

Quote:Why are all HDTVs so expensive? I can buy a computer monitor that probably has around the same resolution for like $40. Given this, why can't they sell a small HDTV for a reasonable price?

As for this, I wouldn't exactly agree.

My parents own a 50" LCD HDTV and we've actually compared it to my LCD Montior, my parents' CRT monitor, and my brother's CRT monitor using the exact same movie (Finding Nemo).

From what we saw, the HDTV had way better colour clarity and resolution than any of our monitors (all of them were when purchased $200 CAD or so).
--Ter'Lenth
Quote:Original post by Terlenth
From what we saw, the HDTV had way better colour clarity and resolution than any of our monitors (all of them were when purchased $200 CAD or so).

Interesting, I will have to give it a try, maybe I will start using it as my monitor (since I don't watch TV much anyway).

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

The maximum res of HDTV (there are two official resolutions) is 1920x1080, often just called 1080.
Then that is of course, broken up into 1080i or 1080p - i meaning interlaced, and p meaning progressive scan. Interlacing, because it displays half the lines each time, often has the effect of making the screen seem to 'jump'.

In addition to 1920x1080, there is 1280x720 - again, this is abbreviated to 720 and has an i or a p appended to it.
[TheUnbeliever]
I believe that most HDTVs run at 1280x720, which is 720p and 720i, and this is mostly what the original Xbox will run at (I haven't seen any games that support 1080i yet). The Xbox360 is suppose to be able to run up to 1920x1080, which is 1080i. Microsoft is putting strict restrictions on games, and forcing them all to be HDTV compliant, which probably means you'll see the vast majority of games running at 720i or 720p. The better games will be running at 1080i.

The PS3 can handle up to 1080p (across two outputs!), although there really aren't any HDTVs (at least, here in the USA) that can handle that format yet. I hope Sony will put a similar restriction on PS3 games and force them all to have high resolution.
-John "bKT" Bellone [homepage] [[email=j.bellone@flipsidesoftware.com]email[/email]]
Quote:Original post by bkt
I believe that most HDTVs run at 1280x720, which is 720p and 720i, and this is mostly what the original Xbox will run at (I haven't seen any games that support 1080i yet).

There is a list of all HDTV-capable XBox games and supported resolutions here

Will you be able to hook your XB360 to a monitor? Doubtful, unless your monitor has a DVI interface, in which case I don't see why not. I'm in the process of purchasing a 20" widescreen LCD that has native HDTV support via DVI or component imputs, so it is possible.

Why are HDTVs so expensive? For a number of reasons, I suppose:
  • Because manufacturers are greedy. As long as they can sell a non-HD tv for a decent amount, they'll be able to jack up the price of a HDTV and people will pay it.
  • TVs generally have channel-tuning hardware built in, monitors do not
  • TVs usually feature things like speakers, multiple component/DVI/HDMI inputs
  • The larger the HDTV, the cost of creating the display components grows exponentially.. especially when dealing with LCD tvs.
  • If the TV is a projection-style, using LCD or DLP projection, the bulbs are sometimes $1000+.
  • HTDVs have to handle both interlaced and progressive inputs.. (though cheaper ones will simply discard half of the progressive lines anyway)

So there are a number of factors to take into account.. a monitor is just that, a display device, a TV has to do a bunch more.

I imagine that if you were to compare a 40" HDTV with a 40" monitor, the monitor would probably be more costly, or at least very close.

If you bought a 64" monitor, you'll probably be paying more than you would for an HDTV. There's more going on then just the resolution.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement