export animated x files from 3d studio max

Started by
6 comments, last by khognar 18 years, 9 months ago
hi all, i'm trying to play my 3d models with direct3d.i make my models with 3d studio max 5.i export my models as 3ds file and convert them x file with conv3ds.exe -A xxxx.3ds . but it works on only scale, transformation, rotation animations.i heard that x file support other animations with frames.is it true?if it is true than how i can do that?thanks for ur help.
Advertisement
If you want to use skeleton animation you shoul load models with D3DXLoadMeshHierarchyFromX. I don't know if conv3ds.exe exports also mesh hierarchy but I am using Panda Exporter
http://www.andytather.co.uk/Panda/directxmax.aspx
and that works fine.
yes i want to use skeleton animation. i will try it . ty.
Quote:Original post by khognar
hi all,

i'm trying to play my 3d models with direct3d.i make my models with 3d studio max 5.i export my models as 3ds file and convert them x file with conv3ds.exe -A xxxx.3ds . but it works on only scale, transformation, rotation animations.i heard that x file support other animations with frames.is it true?if it is true than how i can do that?thanks for ur help.

yes its true, but I hope you are not confusing the "Frames" in mesh animation with "Frames" regarding to the sequence of poses of an animation sequence...

Frames in mesh animation are referred to as invisible "containers" which holds your meshes in a model... they are organised into a hierarchy... Frames are also referred to as Bones in skinned meshes...

have a look here... may be helpful...

good luck
-fuchiefck----------------------------------------------------------"Inside the world that you as a programmer or developer create, you are God" - Zerbst & Duvel
Quote:Original post by JoystickX
If you want to use skeleton animation you shoul load models with D3DXLoadMeshHierarchyFromX. I don't know if conv3ds.exe exports also mesh hierarchy but I am using Panda Exporter
http://www.andytather.co.uk/Panda/directxmax.aspx
and that works fine.
I thought if you wanted to preserve the separate 'bits' of a mesh (like a turret which can turn on a tank) then you had to load the .X file's templates yourself? Does that function support skinned animation, or just a simple hierarchial mesh where essentially different sub-meshes are stuck together?

To d000hg:
It is no need to load mesh hierarchy by hand. All this is done by D3DXLoadMeshHierarchyFromX function. Skinned mesh is also supported by this function and is managed throug ID3DXSkinInfo interface. Animations are managed through ID3DXAnimationController Interface and loading/saving user data through ID3DXLoadUserData/ID3DXSaveUserData.

I have written couple classes, which works with .x meshes. It has capabilities of simple meshes, skeleton(hierarchy) meshes, optimizing, progressive meshes, animations(also mixing and transitions), saving to file, user data support, skinning, and so on... I spend quite a lot of time on this. I may sell this piece of code if you are interested. Try send mail to joker[at]inmail.sk
I don't think many people are interested in paying for such a small piece of code, considering you can buy a whole game engine (Torque) for $100US. Maybe you'd consider writing an article for Gamedev and get lots of kudos?!

But anyway, I believe that D3DX fucntion is new for DX9, wheras I am using DX8.1. Certainly my SDK docs have no reference to it :(
i m using panda export plug in now.it works very well on bone animation but doesnt export texture coordinates when i choose export bones choice.when i dont export bones i can see texture on model but this time animation fails.did any 1 see this problem before.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement