Sign in to follow this  
deffer

Tech demo-beta - testers? [case closed]

So in general, the demo is about animation blending. Right now I made a simple app, that only displays one model and allows to change animations played, hopefully - seamlessly. If you could download it and see if it works on your hardware, or if any stupid cracks show up, I would be very grateful. ModelMod.rar[369kB] - requires MFC71.dll ModelMod_static.rar[529kB] The keyboards are: - W/S - move forward/backward. - 0..9 - change animation being played. - V - disable/enable vertical sync. - Z - enable/disable wireframe mode. You can also rotate the camera when pressing left mouse button. /def EDIT: added version staticly linked with MFC71.dll EDIT2: there's a new test app to download (24 posts from here ;\) [Edited by - deffer on July 15, 2005 4:24:09 PM]

I have no idea what fpu and sse are supposed to mean (although that might be caused by the fact that my brains only have the capacity for about four three-letter acronyms), but anyway: the fpu demo works fine on my pc (athlon 1.2 GHz, Geforce3), but the sse crashes with an (according to MSVS6) illegal instruction.

Tom

Both works fine

However, is there some wireframe ontop of the default mode? Becase I keep seeing black lines around the triangles pretty much everywhere except for in the shield etc.

AMD64 Venice 3500+
nVidia GeForce 6600GT EXTREME

Quote:
Original post by dimebolt
I have no idea what fpu and sse are supposed to mean (although that might be caused by the fact that my brains only have the capacity for about four three-letter acronyms), but anyway: the fpu demo works fine on my pc (athlon 1.2 GHz, Geforce3), but the sse crashes with an (according to MSVS6) illegal instruction.

Tom

SSE is an extended SIMD instruction set, supported by Interl Pentium III+ and Athlon XP/64 and Semprons. Your CPU simply doesn't support the SSE instruction set and the FPU (floating point unit) version uses standard x87 math (co-)processor instructions only.

HTH,
Pat

Quote:
Original post by darookie
SSE is an extended SIMD instruction set, supported by Interl Pentium III+ and Athlon XP/64 and Semprons. Your CPU simply doesn't support the SSE instruction set and the FPU (floating point unit) version uses standard x87 math (co-)processor instructions only.

HTH,
Pat

I figured it was something like that, considering the illegal operation. Unfortunately my 3-letter acronym slots are all full, and this information cannot be stored :)

Tom

Thanks for the input :)

@yakuza: I'll compile a version with staticaly linked MFC71.dll, and put it into downloads.

@Syranide: That's what I suspected. My whole engine has this problem, that only shows up on specific machines. Each triangle has a black border. Unless rendered in immediate mode, as I noticed. This does not appear on my machine, so it's hard to track. I even created a thread about this, but it was not solved.

Anyway, thanks. Keep posting.
/def

Deffer, no need to recompile simply for me to run the demo. :) My point was that a lot of users will simply delete your game without trying to find the missing file, so you narrow the audience when dependencies like this exist.

With a little help of SiCrane I managed to build a version that does not require MFC71.dll. Now it should be able to run on any computer (with windows, of course).

ModelMod_static.rar[529kB]

I know that there's a subtle/stupid bug showing up on some machines/drivers. If you could help me track it by checking if it is present on yours, it would be great.
/def

Thanks for testing.

Quote:
Original post by yakuza
Didn't see a performance difference between the 2 executables.

Probably because the rendering is the bottleneck here.
Know something about it, because I am, too, using GeForce2...

Neat little demo. The model is cool looking and the animations look professional. Both run fine for me but I also see the triangle edges. Frame rate is pretty slow though. I get only 86 frames per second on an Athlon 1700+ Geforce 3 Ti 200. How many triangles is that model?

Both ran fine for me

~61 fps
~500 fps toggle v-synce.

AMD 1700+ GeforceFX 5600

I saw the triangle edges as well.

BTW- the model and animations look really good. GJ!

I didn't see any triangle edges. Works great :D

Specs:

AMD64 3000+ @ 2.0Ghz
Raedon 9800 128Mb Non-Pro

I get about 770fps with the sse version.
I get about 710fps with the fpu version.

The model looks nice.

Thank for trying it out. This is one of the things I'm adding to my engine. But it's far from being done.

So maybe I'll start gathering info, who's got edges and who doesn't. Maybe something would come from it...

Quote:
Original post by pix0l
Frame rate is pretty slow though. I get only 86 frames per second on an Athlon 1700+ Geforce 3 Ti 200. How many triangles is that model?

About 350~400.
But I am getting 90 fps on my hw (Duron 1GHz, GeForce2MX), so yours is better. Maybe you didn't turn off v-sync ('V' key)?

Quote:
Original post by deffer
So maybe I'll start gathering info, who's got edges and who doesn't. Maybe something would come from it...

I also saw edges on my geforce3, but assumed they were there on purpose (since it's actually a pretty useful debugging tool to show both wireframe and regular rendering).

Tom

Edit: quickly scanning the post it seems that all Nvidia cards have edges, all ATI's don't...

Quote:
Original post by dimebolt
I also saw edges on my geforce3, but assumed they were there on purpose

lol, as few of my friends, who have seen my work months ago, thought so too, and didn't tell me a word about the edges. And finally, when I got a presentation to make, I found out just the day before, but it was too late to fix things...

Quote:

quickly scanning the post it seems that all Nvidia cards have edges, all ATI's don't...

All new Nvidia cards, as me and yakuza both have GeForce2 and don't see any cracks.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Great animations!

FPU version slightly faster.

AMD Athlon 1.7 GHz, 512 RAM, GeForce 3 - I can see the black triangle borders.

I just made an interesting discovery - I see the black lines if I maximize the window, but I do not see them if the window is not maximized. Do you perhaps reload the images when you receive a MAXIMIZE event, and use different image settings?

If I resize the window to various sizes, I do not see the black lines, they only occur when I maximize the window (framerate drops to <1 fps also).

Quote:
Original post by yakuza
I just made an interesting discovery - I see the black lines if I maximize the window, but I do not see them if the window is not maximized. Do you perhaps reload the images when you receive a MAXIMIZE event, and use different image settings?

No, in fact, I am not directly handling windows messages. Only check every turn if size has changed and call glVieport(). That's it. Strange as hell.

Quote:

[...]when I maximize the window (framerate drops to <1 fps also).

When I maximize the window, framerate drops to 30fps (don't see black lines). Same GPU, strange... So whose trickery is this? If not the GPU... Do you have the latest Nvidia drivers installed?

I actually have some ancient drivers installed, this is my desktop at work. The version says 6.14.10.5216. I can try it on my Radeon 9600 Pro from home later this evening.

P4 2.66 HT
Radeon 9800 Pro

1280x1024 - Vsync Off
400 FPS :: SSE
385 FPS :: FPU

No artifacts.

PM 1.6
Geforce 6800 GO

1920x1200 - Vsync Off
68 FPS :: SSE
68 FPS :: FPU

Thin cracks visible between faces. No idea why it is so slow though. =/