Sign in to follow this  
DrGUI

Drag problem

Hi...first of all sorry that the thread subject wasn't terribly descriptive as I don't know how to describe it in a short way... Now I just deleted all of this because it seems that the angular velocity suddenly becomes really big, causing the quaternion filled with _very_ small values which goes to NaN when normalized. Now I think it's my drag function which is wrong, as I found that putting (0,0,14.8600006) as the angular velocity caused it to output (0,0,-706)!! Here's the naughty thing:
public static void CalculateSphereDrag(Vector3 velocity, Vector3 angularVelocity,
                                       float sphereRadius, float fluidDensity,
                                       float linearDragCoefficient, float angularDragCoefficient,
                                       out Vector3 linearDrag, out Vector3 angularDrag)
{
	//Linear drag force - normalised drag vector * speed*speed * fluidDensity * LINEARDRAGCOEFFICIENT * radius*radius
	Vector3 dragDir = -velocity;
	float speed = dragDir.Length();
	linearDrag = dragDir * speed * fluidDensity * linearDragCoefficient * sphereRadius * sphereRadius;

//Angular drag force -  - normalised drag vector * speed*speed * fluidDensity * ANGULARDRAGCOEFFICIENT * radius*radius
	dragDir = -angularVelocity;
	speed = dragDir.Length();
	angularDrag = dragDir * speed * fluidDensity * angularDragCoefficient * sphereRadius * sphereRadius;
}

and I called it with: Physics.RigidBody3D.CalculateSphereDrag(this.Velocity, this.VelocityAngularBody, this.BoundingSphere.Radius, 10, 0.5f, 0.5f, out linearDrag, out angularDrag); Maybe 10 is too big a fluid density? I know that the drag coefficients have to be 0-1 but does the fluid density have to be within a certain range too? What are the typical values for the parameters? (for, say, air or water) Thanks [Edited by - DrGUI on July 12, 2005 4:47:43 AM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
Hi,

I think the problem with your code is that force is too big for considering the model as linear.
The things you have to do fix it are:
- reduce time steps
- reduce drage force : if you speak in international units, water density is 1000 kg/m3 and air density is 1 kg/m3
- if it's not sufficient, you should check that resulting velocity has same direction as initial one. If not, set resulting velocity to 0.

Thanks AP, I tried reducing my time step however that didn't make any difference, and I can't get access to the resultant velocity as that's in my numerical integrator and it seems like a bit of a hack anyway.

I'm sure it's something wrong with my drag equation...

Thanks again, I would rate you if you weren't anomynous!