Sign in to follow this  
Daniel Miller

[.net] C#: public get and private set

Is it possible to have a property with a public Get method, but a private Set method? I know there are so many ways around this, but I have a field for which I want internal bounds checking and external visibility visibility to other classes, but no one needs else needs to directly alter its value. I figured this way was the cleanest, but as I said there are a billion other ways to do this. [Edited by - Daniel Miller on July 12, 2005 1:23:11 PM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
Not exactly. Make the field "internal"; this way you can access it from anywhere in your assembly. Provide no setter for your property and instead manipulate the field directly.

Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
Not exactly. Make the field "internal"; this way you can access it from anywhere in your assembly. Provide no setter for your property and instead manipulate the field directly.

Is a bad idea, especially if the field might change at a later date. An internal method would be fine, if the local assembly is the one who needs to access it.

Guest Anonymous Poster
I don't see why - an internal field is something only *you* should be touching.

Is there a really good argument against direct private field access you've got in mind?

Quote:
I have a field for which I want internal bounds checking and external visibility

The OP *wants* bounds-checking done on any modifications made by other objects. Hence, an internal field as opposed to an internal method is not satisfactory.

If the bounds checking is not needed, then an internal field would suffice, though this is still arguably bad practice from an encapsulation/reusability standpoint.

I do need bounds-checking, but I should not have said the word "external". I meant that in the English sense, not in the .NET sense (and what a forum to make that slip-up on!). I should have said, "visibility to other classes". My mistake.