• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jay88

OpenGL The Age Old: OpenGL or Direct3D?

This topic is 6588 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I know, I''m sure you have all heard it before. I don''t know why, but i have been having trouble finding articles about this topic. I would have thought there would be thousands. Anywayz, I bring the question to the programmers themselves! I have been doing some 2D games, gotten a good understanding of physics, AI, etc. I have also made 3D fireworks simply by plotting pixels on the screen using translation/rotation etc. I''m ready for a 3D API! (At least I feel that way) But where do I go? I want to make Games in the action genre, not nessesarily FPS, but action for sure. Where do you guys think the best place to go is? OpenGL or Direct3D? I know if i want to port my games its opengl for sure, but i dont really care about porting. Which ever I chose I''d like to be able to use DirectSound/Input for it because i find them fast, and solid. Will OpenGL cause too much of a problem for me to use DirectX behind it (i don''t think it will but just checking)? I have already bought the infamous "Red Book" for opengl, and am now through the first chapter having second thoughts on OpenGL. Have i gone the wrong way? Any comments very appreciated, Thanks, Jay. P.S. Hope this thread doesn''t become a massive brawl

Advertisement
my suggestion is this: try them both out for a couple months, and see which one you like better. they both will produce the same results { so don''t let anyone tell you different }. it''s just of matter of style. besides learning both won''t hinder you, it will only make you better, and allow you to have a better understanding of how to do 3D graphics. anyway that''s what i did, and i picked one, and now that''s the one use.

To the vast majority of mankind, nothing is more agreeable than to escape the need for mental exertion... To most people, nothing is more troublesome than the effort of thinking.

I wouldn''t start off with the Red Book to learn OpenGL. It breezes through topics way too quick for someone totally new to the API. Consider NeHe, the OpenGL Superbible, and if you can hold off on OpenGL until the summer, Rhino and I have a book in the making.

As for choosing between one or the other, just play with both and figure out which one you like best. That''s the best advice I can give, and I''m not going to tell you to choose one or the other.

Also, you can use the non-graphical components of DirectX with OpenGL (DInput, DSound, etc).

Kevin

OpenGL is very portable to a wide range of platforms. If you want a good book on OpenGL, get the OpenGL Superbible (2nd Ed.). DX8 and OpenGL are very much alike (see the latest article on gamedev ''DirectX8 Graphics and video: a fresh start''). I use DX for 2D stuff, and OpenGL for 3D stuff.

#define ignite_software 1  

I''m having the same problems, so I''ll bookmark this topic;
I want to start w/a 3D API, but I''m not sure which one to choose...

As if you didn''t already know, "You''re not alone!"

Ok, that was a bit stupid =o)

Learn OpenGL first. It''s easier to master, you should only need a few days after all, the rest is just algorithms like collision detection that also apply to D3D. OpenGL isn''t much trouble, it is so easy you won''t even using it much because it fits soooo nice into your programs ;-) And since it hides LOTS of stuff D3D puts on you, it''s a very very good start. And hey, you look like an already eperience coder, it should only take you a very short time.

But this was no flame agains D3D !!! I suggest that after one or two weeks with gl you take a look at the D3D SDK ! ok, D3D before version 6 was without no doubt the greates piece of shit on the face of earth. Even in my wildest dreams I haven''t was not able to imagine a API that sucks this much ;-) But DX7 finally got my attention. It was the first version that became really usable and was competetive to OpenGL. And DX8 is *really* nice ! Ok, it''s still more complicated as OpenGL, but it offers lots of nice thinks that makes the extra effort really worth it.

I hope that helps you to decide. If you a still unsure, you can download NeHe''s tutorials as a single big chm file and also download the DX SDK documentation (which is really good for an SDK doku) as a single big chm file. Then you take a day or two to take a look at them ! The red book is a really good book, it is even online available. See NeHe''s or my site for the link!

check the forum faq
theres no problems at all using gl with dsound + dinput.
my adice try them both see which one u are more comfortable with

http://members.xoom.com/myBollux

I am huge fan of bog-standard procedural languages like C, and I have no time for C++ and all that OOP stuff. I am also *no* fan of Microsoft. But despite this I much prefer DirectX over OpenGL. It just makes more sense to me. There are many horror stores on the net about how awful DirectX is, but they''re really obsolete now that DirectX 8.0 has been released. So, I guess it''s all a matter of opinion. I also found DirectX quicker to learn but definitely try ''em both out. Also, DirectX is updated every year or so .. hmm, OpenGL is getting a little crusty now.

One suggestion: try to understand 3D space a little bit before you try anything. 3D geometry and calculus have been around forever. Programming it is the second step really, not the first.

I recently jumped into OpenGL with no 3D experience and spent the last month backtracking trying to understand how 3D space actually worked. The coding was almost irrelevant. Once I got 3d theory down, the API was simply a tool to implement my knowledge of it.

I still rely on a very good Delphi library to do some of the more complicated tasks. You might want to check into libraries for your language before you choose your API; unless you like reinventing the wheel and want to start from ground zero.

ive been pushing this a bit lately but u might wanna take a look at a scenegraph eg http://sgl.sourceforge.net/ i KNOW they are future other examples of ''scenegraphs'' thats if youve got the cash. q3 engine , UT engine. who''s gonna bite

http://members.xoom.com/myBollux

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!