• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheDuderino

Multitexture/Mesh/Triangle Questions ideas..

This topic is 6412 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I just need to make sure im thinking of this correctly.. Lets say i want to create a sort of terrain.. and i want each that follows this kind of format: Use your imagination ;p Set of 2 triangles like this ------------- ! \ ! ! \ ! ! \ ! is mapped with an bitmap..(or more..) ! \ ! ! \ ! ! \ ! ------------- Well.. i was thinking that i could create this by doing a single mesh right.. These are some question s i have about meshing.. 1. All mesh will use the same texture(up to 8 for multitexturing)? 2. Each triangle in the mesh will have the same effect? 3. You cannot change the texture used in the mesh withough changing all textures? I know there are ways to get around 1 and 3, by making grouped together textures.. but is this feasible? Now this leads me to the question that am i goin to want to make possible so that i could use multiple effects.. meshes for every 2 triangles.. this would allow new sorts of effects to be used for every set right? Is this feasible? I know multiple calls on a drawprimitive will slow things conciderably.. correct? (seem everything i know.. i dont) Either way.. i would like each square to be able to define if there is 1..4 textures used.. for blending.. and how they are supposed to be layered/blended.. this almost has to have many different primitives drawn? And finally.. lets say i want to blend one side of a texture onto another texture.. This wouldnt be a full blend like you normally would think.. but more of like.. think about blending a snow texture onto grass.. you would want it to be gradual.. Just for some background info i am working in Directx8. Thanks, Russ Hanson

Advertisement

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!