• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

qurob

Indrema

This topic is 6381 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
Opinions...I have those ;-)

I guess its cool that its done in linux and all, but...its a console system, right? Just plug it in and it works; just another appliance like a can opener or a nintendo.I would expect some type of system configuration options, but not anything that would make it non-operational (like there is with a real computer)...basically just a concept console.I like games a whole lot, but I can''t really get excited about console systems, or playing ''Need For Speed Eleventeen - Rest Stop Toilet''.
  The sdk is another story; I would buy their console if I could program it (and subsequently play it on the console...no point in programming for it if it has no way to use it).
  Anyhow, just rambling, I''ll shut up now and crawl back under my rock

Bulbasaur

----------
meh

Guest Anonymous Poster
Indrema....

I do not like there current buisness model. They are trying to rally the open/free software people to embrace this closed platform. You cannot just write a game for it and give it to people, you have to pay per game to develop on this hardware.

So as a develpoer here are my choices.

1) I''m a commercial developer. I''m going to have my hands busy building my game for the PS2, Dreamcast, N64, or PC. Why would I want to develop for ANOTHER platform that costs more than the competition and offers very little in name brand recognition.

2) I''m a hobby developer. I develop for windows and possibly for linux already. Why would I pay for a development kit and royalties to develop a game in my free time. It''s a possibility, but that money could be better spent on good manuals or duplication costs. The games unsigned will only run on a ?$600+ developer box I''m better off just developing for linux.

I just don''t see how they intend on getting around the catch-22 of what they are doing. At least with the x-box they have name recognition and pretty much a guarenteed user base they can count on. They need to give away the SDK''s along with support personell and reduced rolaties to big name publishers to give them a real reason to develop. Once the game are there people will buy the platform. Without big name support they will never get off the ground. All of this could also be pooched by either the PS, PS2, X-box, or Nintendo ( with cd-rom adapter ) doing this first and stealing market share from indrema.

So as you can tell I''m a little skeptical that they can really pull this off.

Indrema....

I do not like there current buisness model. They are trying to rally the open/free software people to embrace this closed platform. You cannot just write a game for it and give it to people, you have to pay per game to develop on this hardware.

1) I''m a commercial developer. I''m going to have my hands busy building my game for the PS2, Dreamcast, N64, or PC. Why would I want to develop for ANOTHER platform that costs more than the competition and offers very little in name brand recognition.

2) I''m a hobby developer. I develop for windows and possibly for linux already. Why would I pay for a development kit and royalties to develop a game in my free time. It''s a possibility, but that money could be better spent on good manuals or duplication costs. The games unsigned will only run on a ?$600+ developer box I''m better off just developing for linux.

I just don''t see how they intend on getting around the catch-22 of what they are doing. At least with the x-box they have name recognition and pretty much a guarenteed user base they can count on. They need to give away the SDK''s along with support personell and reduced rolaties to big name publishers to give them a real reason to develop. Once the game are there people will buy the platform. Without big name support they will never get off the ground. All of this could also be pooched by either the PS, PS2, X-box, or Nintendo ( with cd-rom adapter ) doing this first and stealing market share from indrema.

quote:
Original post by snowmoon

Indrema....

I''ve been working quite closely with Indrema over the past couple of weeks. They''ve recently changed the certification guidelines so that you don''t really have to pay for OpenSource games, but a warning screen is displayed saying that the title isn''t anything to do with Indrema.

quote:

What the **** are you on? An Indrema devkit is going to cost somewhere between $500 and $1000. A PS2 devkit costs somewhere in the region of $25,000. Yes, the Indrema costs more to develop for. GET A GODAMNED CLUE.

quote:

See earlier comment about the change to certification

quote:

The Indrema has recieved a lot of coverage in specialty press in recent months, as well as having 30+ titles from commercial developers planned to be released for the main launch (there are 2 launches).

quote:

And I''m a little skeptikal that you know anything about the Indrema, apart from the FUD circulated on slashdot.

After careful deliberation, I have come to the conclusion that Nazrix is not cool. I am sorry for any inconvienience my previous mistake may have caused. We now return you to the original programming

quote:
snowmoon
1) I'm a commercial developer. I'm going to have my hands busy building my game for the PS2, Dreamcast, N64, or PC. Why would I want to develop for ANOTHER platform that costs more than the competition and offers very little in name brand recognition.

quote:
Godfree
What the **** are you on? An Indrema devkit is going to cost somewhere between $500 and $1000. A PS2 devkit costs somewhere in the region of $25,000. Yes, the Indrema costs more to develop for. GET A GODAMNED CLUE.

I'm guessing that snowmoon was referring to the retail price of the console, which is the same as the PS2 ($300 and probably won't be lowered until next fall when X-Box and GameCube are launched next fall, I hope), but significantly more than the Dreamcast (down to $150 now?) and the expected cost of the GameCube ($200). I don't know what the expected price of the X-Box is...

Personally I see a lot of potential for indie and hobby developers on this platform. There is essentially no entry fee to develop for it and you have the tools to make a game for a next-generation console.

Edited by - Kyle Radue on January 1, 2001 6:35:51 PM

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!