DirectX Web Installer + D3DX Installer + Game Installer Here

Started by
6 comments, last by Muhammad Haggag 18 years, 9 months ago
Ok, I thought someone else might like this. Basically, I took Microsoft's Component Installer, a stripped down DirectX install of just D3DX, and a packaged it to install with a game. The upside is that it only downloads the needed components, and is small itself. Here's what it does: 1) Microsoft Component Installer checks a list of files in Components\PSetup.ini, which you can edit. If anything is missing on the client, each is downloaded and installed. I am distributing this in a "Managed DirectX" configuration, so it is configured to check for and install if needed: .Net Framework 1.1 DirectX 9.0c Managed DirectX Runtimes Edit Components\PSetup.ini to modify this list. For example, all but DirectX can be removed for a "Unmanaged DirectX" install, which only has to be downloaded if DirectX is missing. 2) D3DX\DXSetup.exe is run in a stripped down configuration that only installs D3DX. The D3DX that is included is the June release, but can be swapped out for any other. 3) Game\Setup.exe is started. Put your game install here. For example, a small Managed DirectX Application is included. If anyone has the time, I'd love to here if it works correctly for you. I have already tested it on 2 of my machines and had my friend install it on his clean Windows install, but you can never be to careful. EDIT: Right, here is the link - http://www.savefile.com/files/9715811
Turring Machines are better than C++ any day ^_~
Advertisement
Wow, great...this is really nice. That's the first time I think I've seen the 'Component Installer' - it's pretty nifty. Everything worked fine on my machine. I shall save this for future use - thanks [smile]
Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )
Excellent work, interest86! [smile]
Stuck this thread for a while.

Quote:Original post by Coder
Excellent work, interest86! [smile]
Stuck this thread for a while.

Thanks, it is the end result of trying to find a way to make my installation "end user accessable". No need to make a list of downloads/requirements and hope the end user takes care of themselves. That, and there doesn't appear to be for the user to get D3DX now short of getting the SDK. Hopefully less user responsibility = less user complaints [headshake]
Turring Machines are better than C++ any day ^_~
Nice work!
I was also thinking about something like this couple of days ago. Seems like you have read my thoughts [grin]

I'm a little too busy to check it out right this second, but definitely looks like a useful tool. Will have a look when I get some time!

I'm always up for finding quicker/easier/better ways of installing stuff, and anything that makes this new D3DX stuff easier gets my approval [grin]

Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Warning: mysql_connect(): Host '70.85.159.106' is blocked because of many connection errors. Unblock with 'mysqladmin flush-hosts' in /home/savefile/include/db.php on line 5
No Database Selected

What's that meant to mean?!

Please make the link work because it sounds useful!
Can it run setups from like a CD as well as downloading?
Quote:Original post by DrGUI
Warning: mysql_connect(): Host '70.85.159.106' is blocked because of many connection errors. Unblock with 'mysqladmin flush-hosts' in /home/savefile/include/db.php on line 5
No Database Selected

Retry. It works for me now.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement