At last It Ends...

Started by
12 comments, last by Jehsup 18 years, 9 months ago
You sound relatively bitter about your current job, and I'm sure that it must have been a horrible place to work, and understandibly unsure about where things are going to go from here.

However, things aren't going to look much better unless you have a more positive, aggressive attitude. Take the time between now and your defense contract interview to do some of the things you enjoy, leave your current job without any ammunition for them to throw at your next employer, and show up to that interview with an air of confidence and optimism.

In short, buck up, get back on the saddle, and start over. you don't have much choice, anyways.

I am relatively sure that you may react to my advice with some sense of hostility, but I think that I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. I know it must not be easy to start over like this, but if you don't willingly jump at the opportunity to do so, you will most likely end up with a job worse than the one you have now. Embittered people do not get hired by big companies, they end up working at gas stations and retail stores for the rest of their lives.. It's sad, but i've seen it enough times to know that it's effectively true.

Lastly, even if these last 7 years have been relative hell at work, its still 7 years holding a consistent job in the fields of your expertise. Stability is an attractive trait, from the perspective of an employer.
Quote:Original post by EtnuBwahaha. I would've shot the guy in the balls.
Advertisement
There is only one thing to do: Become a noodle farmer, it's your only option.
Quote:Original post by Jehsup
Quote:Original post by Eelco
(you start to price yourself out of the game after a few years, especially with children).

how so?

you dont have to accept a raise, do you?

No, you don't have to accept a raise. But I don't want a pay cut either. Try paying child care on a couple of young children while starting back at a lower (beginning salary) rate on top of a car payment, house payment, etc. Child care is my single biggest expense as I imagine it is with anyone who has more than one child in care while at work ( I have 3 in care. 4 total).

Most won't hire someone of 35+ years for what they are worth (in years of experience) when they can get a single person who can work 80+ hours a week for less money, has no outside responsibilities (like staying home with a sick kid, child's sporting events, etc.)

the solution is simple: move to india.
(you start to price yourself out of the game after a few years, especially with children).

how so?

you dont have to accept a raise, do you?

No, you don't have to accept a raise. But I don't want a pay cut either. Try paying child care on a couple of young children while starting back at a lower (beginning salary) rate on top of a car payment, house payment, etc. Child care is my single biggest expense as I imagine it is with anyone who has more than one child in care while at work ( I have 3 in care. 4 total).

Most won't hire someone of 35+ years for what they are worth (in years of experience) when they can get a single person who can work 80+ hours a week for less money, has no outside responsibilities (like staying home with a sick kid, child's sporting events, etc.)

the solution is simple: move to india.

You might have something there =).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement