3H-GDC (open voting)

Started by
26 comments, last by Karelian 18 years, 8 months ago
SUBMISSIONS ARE IN! for the theme of Black and White games, we had three competitors, Robomaniac, MarkR, and me (hence the open voting). Adventures in Pixel Land: BlockBlast High Roller Hillie This Saturday in the #gamedev Afternet channel, I'm going to encourage everyone to compete in a "3 hour gamedev contest". You'll have 3 hours to complete a game of your choosing to fit a specified theme. Everyone can email me the submissions, I'll host the files on my GDNet+ space, make a page for them really quick, etc., ad nauseum. Judging will be open, all participants and channel members will judge all entries. It's more of a "see what you can do" then a competition, per se. Now, to come up with a theme. Some ideas: RPG Element (i.e. a battle engine, or a world map, or an inventory system) Black and White, (not even grey-scale, just B+W) Vector based games (ala Asteroids, Tempest, Battlezone, or my fav "Major Havoc") board games My system specs: P4 2.4Ghz, 768MB RAM, Radeon 9800, WinXP Pro, .Net 1.1, DX9c, Java 5, broadband internet. As long as I can execute it, I don't care what you use. I could install Pythong and PyGame or whatever you want, but you'll have to link me directly to the downloads for my specs, I'm too lazy to find it on my own. I may whine if I see anything about "GPL" on the page you link me to. Source code isn't required, but I'm thinking that if you do give it, I'll make a page with your source and your explanation of the source. It'll be good for beginners on the site. In 3 hours, you won't write so much code that you won't be able to comment on every single line in complete detail later. Prize? A nice, steaming plate of Rocky Mountain Oysters! Three hours is plenty of time, if the scope of the project is clearly defined. Hell, I made Pong in under half an hour yesterday, without the use of game libraries or game makers, just straight Java. [Edited by - capn_midnight on July 18, 2005 8:52:35 AM]

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

Advertisement
Sounds like fun, but I'm going to be busy Saturday (going to the Calgry Stampede for the day, then doing some graphics programming afterwards).
Quote:Original post by capn_midnight
As long as I can execute it, I don't care what you use. Sorry, no SDL...
Are these two linked? All SDL needs is the SDL.dll in the same folder as the EXE, so as long as the submitted file (which I'd have thought would be a zip with all the other resources in it) comes with it then all is good.

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

Quote:Original post by benryves
Quote:Original post by capn_midnight
As long as I can execute it, I don't care what you use. Sorry, no SDL...
Are these two linked? All SDL needs is the SDL.dll in the same folder as the EXE, so as long as the submitted file (which I'd have thought would be a zip with all the other resources in it) comes with it then all is good.

yeah, that's fine. I was just saying, don't assume I have any particular thing installed.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

Oh yeah? Well I think it's safe to say you're all going to be "guessing the number" come saturday. IN BLACK AND WHITE!!!
---There are 2 kinds of people: those who know hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Quote:Original post by Meagermanx
Oh yeah? Well I think it's safe to say you're all going to be "guessing the number" come saturday. IN BLACK AND WHITE!!!

I think you underestimate just how much can be done in three hours. A regular, collegiate programming contest generally runs 3 hours, and a good team can complete at least 6 problems in that time, ranging from as simple as determining the type of triangle that is defined by a set of points to finding the complex graph theory problems. I really think that asteroids can be done in three hours. Tetris could be as well. If you are doing a text-based game, it could be even bigger, you could possibly make an entire random dungeon crawler (sans combat and item collection).

You could probably make a 2D scrolling side-shooter in under 3 hours. Maybe 2 hours for programming and an hour for all the art. Although you might have use something like SDL to get it done.
The only thing I could do in three hours is a guess-the-number game. It would be black and white, though. Maybe I could enter and, if nobody else manages to upload their project in time, win by default. It would feel kind of hollow...
---There are 2 kinds of people: those who know hexadecimal, and those who don't.
I could write Pong in half an hour... could I do that, but with better graphics?
okay, 15 minutes folks. B+W game, any libraries and API are open, any language, you MUST handle distibution of your game, I WILL not find the necessary components to run your game on my own.

Browser based games are open as well, don't forget about that.

submission should be sent to capn.midnight@gmail.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement