Come one, Come all and help the newbie!!!

Started by
17 comments, last by Retro 23 years, 4 months ago
Thanks guys for all the advice!

One thing I would like to point out though is about the "that''s where the money is" comment. This really WASN''T important to me (well, not THAT important). What happened is I mentioned this programming stuff to my dad, saying that i was going to learn c++, and he just got stuck on how i should learn Java because thats what all the jobs are for. Everytime I did a little "well..." thing, he basically cut me off talking about if i learn c++ i''ll just get stuck teaching it at some community college, kinda'' like latin. I don''t think that really any of this was correct. It really wasn''t important to the post. I guess i was just thinking about it and it slipped in the post. I''m really not trying to pick the language that will give me the most job offerings or that pays the most. I don''t even know 1 language. It''s not like i''ve decided on i career. I just wanted to explain that.

Also, many of you seem to think that choosing a language isn''t all that important.

"The most important thing is to begin by understanding the ''concept'' of programming and what good programming is and what it isn''t."

"it''s not important whether or not you learn a specific language, rather its more important that you understand the principles by which engineers and programmers accomplish thier tasks. this means learning about different data structures, algorithms, and theories behind how all this cool stuff works. "

I''m sure that all this is true however I have basically NO knowledge or experience in programming at all and would like to get started if you know what i mean. I want a good all around language that a can learn all this stuff (even if it''s not THE most user friendly). I''m sure that I will catch all that stuff (i don''t mean to sound too naive).

Keep it coming if anyone has anymore to say.

Thanks Again,
Brandon
(Retro)
Advertisement
quote:Original post by Houdini

As for Java, I''d bet the farm that C/C++ and VB is more widley used for business apps. I''ve only seen a few jobs that were looking for Java programmers, and a ton for C/C++ and VB.

This got me interested, so I did a search on a couple of job sites. If you try to do the same, I think you''ll find that Java actually comes up a hell of a lot more than VB. It also comes up less often than C++, so you were right about that.

Some numbers I got from www.dice.com: 33788 matches for Java, 15034 for VB or Visual Basic, and 42847 for C++.

Returning to the actual topic of this thread, I agree that it doesn''t really matter which language you learn first. I said earlier that I learnt how to program in Pascal, but actually I kind of lied a little. It was actually Oberon, a Pascal dialect whose programming environment was actually a complete operating system. It was slow as hell, but that never stopped me from doing my first 3D graphics in it as well. I''m glad I had this experience early on - the first language we got in college was Cobol

So performance isn''t all that, but I stand by my other point, though: try to pick a language that doesn''t have as many syntactical oddities as, for example, C++. Java is great, and so is Object Pascal (IMHO). Stay away from Cobol, regardless of what Sydan tells you about it

- Tom
Tom Nuydens delphi3d@gamedeveloper.org www.gamedeveloper.org/delphi3d
Retro,

Fortunately, as long as there are people, there will be a need for games...as far as "where the money is" right now - it''s everywhere! While Java is extremely popular considering the desire for most companies to create a high degree of functionality on the Internet, C/C++ will continue to be the last word (other than Assembler) when it comes to speed.

I myself have worked with VB, and Delphi, and like both - although I gravitate more toward Delphi (personal preference, not politically motivated). Personally, I have followed one hard, fast rule when it comes to work - do what you love, money, or not.

Money comes from filling a need, perceived or otherwise, that a group of people have, period. You produce what they want, they give you money - capitalism at it''s finest. If your desire is to fulfill the entertainment needs of a group of individuals, large, or small, GO FOR IT!

As far as what programming language for games, ask the developers of Quake, Unreal, Evolvo, or any popular 3D game. Chances are it wasn''t developed with Java, or VB. Currently, and probably in the future, you need lean, natively compiled code to achieve that kind of performance.

I will also reiterate what practically everyone else on this thread has said. If in the future Java is universally adopted, and all other programming languages are done away with (yeah, right), have faith in the fact that many employers look for programming skill - not language knowledge. Besides, you can always pick up a $30 book to learn the particulars.

Good luck!
A few random thoughts to add to the already excellent input

• C and C++ are far and away the dominant languages used in the gaming industry. I don''t have hard numbers to back that up, but I''ve never heard of a major developer who is using anything other than C/C++ as their primary language. Most of the code you''ll find online will be in one of the two. Outside the gaming industry, C and C++ are prevalent as well (it''s what I use, and I know I''d have no problem finding another C/C++ job if I needed to). So, the point is, they will be worth knowing eventually, even if you start with another language.
  • For recommended languages, check our "New? Start here" section for links to a couple of articles, one called "Game Programming Beginners Guide", and the other, "Which Language Should I choose?" (or something like that. Both have advise on the topic.
  • I just read a report that Java programmers, on average, make more money than VB programmers. I have no idea how well C++ programmers relate to either.

There''s always some debate on this topic. VB is often used for it''s simplicity, however, the performance isn''t high enough for intensive operations. Therefore it is not uncommon for people to write performance-intensive parts of an application in c++, and the rest of the application in VB.

A lot of people look down on pascal, but it is really personal preference. Delphi provides almost equal performance to c++, and is visual too. If you find c++ too confusing, then delphi is definately an option. But due to the number of people who use c++ in the real world, you''d very likely be better off trying to learn c++.
I would recommend learning C/C++ first. And between the two, I would suggest learning C before C++. C++ may be the "safer" language, but that just seems to produce more careless programmers. C at least punishes you early and thoroughly for doing something stupid.
Continuing the crusade....
here''s links to the FAQ here, which includes "which language should I choose":
http://www.gamedev.net/reference/start_here/
http://www.gamedev.net/reference/design/features/whatlang/

On another topic, if you guys like C-bots, C++ bots, whatever, you gotta check out MindRover:
www.mindrover.com.

This game rocks. The best programming game since Robot Oddessey
Yeah, I agree with the C punishing you part SiCrane. C has many good techniques/functions (sprintf being the biggest I can thing of) that are associated with it that a C++ book will more often than not omit.

Go with C/C++, they are a lot like Java (which is kind of irritating to program in if you ask me). VB is kind of evil (my own opinion many people will, not just might, disagree with me).

Pick up C and/or C++, maybe a little ASM (not required most often). Mess around with the WinAPI a while, and maybe DirectX. OpenGL is good to know too.

Don''t ever use iostream.h or any AP library, that is my most important advice to getting your code to be more efficient. Note: I didn''t say not to learn how to use iostream.h, just never use it.

http://www.gdarchive.net/druidgames/
quote:Original post by Stoffel

On another topic, if you guys like C-bots, C++ bots, whatever, you gotta check out MindRover:
www.mindrover.com.

This game rocks. The best programming game since Robot Oddessey

I have the demo for Mindrover. It totally kicks ass, and allthough it does teach, umm, concepts of programming, it doesn''t help me out that much (but it''s still on my X mas list!)

In case nobody noticed, the Anonymos post that starts with "thanks for all the advice" was by me. I guess I accidently didn''t put my info in. read it if you havn''t already.

Thanks,
Brandon
(Retro)
Retroretro@gdnmail.net

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement