Too many Java-OpenGL-Bindings!!

Started by
13 comments, last by fazekaim 18 years, 9 months ago
Another vote for LWJGL.

I started with JOGL and felt it was too clunky. I switched to LWJGL around the time they started offering FMOD support, as Java Sound is horrible. I figured that since I was using LWJGL's FMOD binding, I might as well give its OpenGL a try. I've since never looked back.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by GKW
The main JOGL developer at Sun used to be a contributor to the GL4Java project. That is about the sum total of the connection.

That and the API looks remarkably similar (particularly Animator etc.).
I am sure Ken took what he viewed as the best parts of GL4Java, which he was obviously very familiar with, and used them in JOGL so there will be some similarity. Really there are only so many ways to do a animator class. JSR231 will look a lot more like GL4Java since you will be able to make GL calls from any thread and the canvas classes will be nonfinal. I am really hoping for a tighter integration with Java2D so the GLJPanel class will have better performance. You could do some really neat stuff with a hardware accelerated GL canvas that can work seamlessly with Java2D.
"... we should have such an empire for liberty as she has never surveyed since the creation ..."Thomas Jefferson
LWJGL for sure.
Very fast, clean and compact library. And you have all you need : OpenGL, OpenAL, OpenIL (DevIL), Fmod and Controllers support in upcoming version.
- Artist on the web -- Lwjgl Ressources & blog -
Chman_a11w, do You mean LWJGL is faster then JOGL? ( I read something about API limited GL performance problems... )
Is there comparisons somewhere?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement