VBOs

Started by
2 comments, last by THACO 18 years, 9 months ago
Ok, So I want to use VBOs or I will use them, they don't seem that hard. The one thing, should I put in support for regular vtx arrays? What is the last card to NOT support VBO's like a geforce 2 ( i have no idea on ati cards)? Just curious, my game probably will never go retail, but should I still worry about catoring to people with crappier cards? btw I am using OpenGL Also on a second note, what is the best way to include the pinters to the OpenGL functions for VBOs and multi textures etc. I know I should probably know this by now. I know how to find and get the pointers, but I want to use those functions in multiple classes which are in multiple files. When I try to include one main header file and include it with others I get an error saying X struct or X variable has already been defined. I can use <DInput.h> or other files in my multiple header files, but why can't I include my headers files in multiple places? -THACO
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by THACO
Ok, So I want to use VBOs or I will use them, they don't seem that hard. The one thing, should I put in support for regular vtx arrays?

Probably a more important consideration is whether a VBO creation can fail due to memory limits, forcing you to fall back to software. I'm unclear on whether or not this actually happens or not. But VBO support goes back pretty far, so I doubt you'll have a problem, unless you were planning to run on a Voodoo 3 or something.

Quote:
I can use <DInput.h> or other files in my multiple header files, but why can't I include my headers files in multiple places?

You need include guards. Read me.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Quote:Original post by THACO
Ok, So I want to use VBOs or I will use them, they don't seem that hard. The one thing, should I put in support for regular vtx arrays? What is the last card to NOT support VBO's like a geforce 2 ( i have no idea on ati cards)? Just curious, my game probably will never go retail, but should I still worry about catoring to people with crappier cards? btw I am using OpenGL

I don't think regular vertex array support is needed. According to OpenGL Hardware registry VBOs are widely supported.
Quote:
Also on a second note, what is the best way to include the pinters to the OpenGL functions for VBOs and multi textures etc. I know I should probably know this by now. I know how to find and get the pointers, but I want to use those functions in multiple classes which are in multiple files. When I try to include one main header file and include it with others I get an error saying X struct or X variable has already been defined. I can use <DInput.h> or other files in my multiple header files, but why can't I include my headers files in multiple places?

-THACO

Do you have
#ifndef __EXTENSIONS_H_#define __EXTENSIONS_H_// ...extension funcs...#endif

in the header file where you have your extension func pointers?

Anyway, I recommend using something like GLEW for managing GL extensions.

Edit: Beaten. Again.
Thanks, to both of you, I will look into glew. I thought I tried using ifndef before, and also programa once that comes when I create a new class for VC++ but well I must have missed it somewhere because before I in a previous project I had lots of files and spaghetti code was all over the place(it as a mess). I have since moved on and want to keep everything neat and clean for this project.
I doubt I will use all the memory even for older cards but hey who knows. Thanks for the quick help too.

-THACO

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement