A Beginner with a design.doc

Started by
11 comments, last by Beemer 18 years, 9 months ago
Heyas; I'm not sure where to really start, so I guess let me give a brief introduction; I'm an owner of a small tech company, and a web developer with about 10 years of experience. I'm just starting out in the game development scene, in a manner of speaking. I have a lot to say here, but I'm going to cut through the crap as best as I can, and then if anyone wants to know more about the game I'm going to talk about, you can contact me via email (beemer127@comcast.net). While I have made any number of mods for existing commercial releases such as Half-life, Unreal (in all its incarnations), Neverwinter Nights, Dungeon Siege, and a variety of other games, I've never made the plunge to try and make my own game, though I've always wanted to. I guess I was waiting for that one game idea that would be my "first". Well, I found that idea - though it's not quite what I expected. After a week of feverish typing and careful thought, I have a very formidable list of features, and a formulas that will be needed to perform the calculations for this game. There's a story behind how I got my ideas, but I'm sure most would not be interested in that, so let me try and cut to the chase; I want to build a massively multiplayer strategy game in which empire management is rea-time, and yet combat would be turn-based. The game will be entirely server-side initially, accessed through your browser, though that could easily change through the use of graphics packs, and various other features. I intend on using PHP & MySQL, though I might also have to include Java. The problem is, as my thread title suggests, I'm a beginner. I know enough to know the game can be built, but my programming knowledge starts and stops with ASP. Why don't I just use ASP then? The answer is speed. From what I have seen thus far, PHP (which I am learning, now) and MySQL tends to perform better, and resolves programming code in a more timely fashion. Anyhow, I've said all that to ask two questions: 1. Does anyone have any suggestions as to alternatives for this project? 2. Would anyone be interested in helping with this project? I need someone who would have a better grasp of MySQL than I do. I'm not expecting a deluge of volunteers, but if you are interested, I would be more than happy to share what I have so far in terms of my design document, such as it is. Understand, this is not a professional project. I do not intend this game for commercial release. Conversely, the game balance will take into account the fact that players could donate for certain in-game perks that may expedite various actions, such as repairs on military units, as well as recovery for wounded personel. On the whole, this is a game that I want to build because I have a passion for it. Others that wish to be involved with this project should feel the same. Regards, Beemer
Advertisement
As you can see elsewhere (anywhere) the general rule is:

If you do not know how:
1. Learn how to do it using baby steps. Start very, very (did I say very?) simple.
or
2. Find someone who does know.

Drop the design (keep it for later) and make something very simple.

Cheers
Just buy a book, and start out by diving into the book and learning at your own pace. Of course, personally, I would do it Server-Client with C++.
The best thing to do is just choose whatever you think you'd prefer, and go for it. -Promit
I have a great design for a car. The doors don't swing open, they slide underneath. And it has a 1000 hp engine and it has a top speed of 300 mph and goes 0 to 60 in 1 second.

I want to build it from scratch, but I've never built a car before. I've never built anything before.

Where do I start?

1. What is the best welder for building this kind of car?
2. What are the best tires?
3. I want it to have a sweet paint job, but all those layers of paint will add too much weight. How do I optimize the paint?

Anyone want to join my project?
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
I have a great design for a car. The doors don't swing open, they slide underneath. And it has a 1000 hp engine and it has a top speed of 300 mph and goes 0 to 60 in 1 second.

I want to build it from scratch, but I've never built a car before. I've never built anything before.

Where do I start?

1. What is the best welder for building this kind of car?
2. What are the best tires?
3. I want it to have a sweet paint job, but all those layers of paint will add too much weight. How do I optimize the paint?

Anyone want to join my project?

Good analogy.
Beemer: You may have noticed that some of the answers were very agresive... well, don't worry about that, it's just that it is very common in some boards of GameDev (particulary Help Wanted, Game Design, etc) to have some teenagers who just got an idea for a brand new MMORPG, have no gaming experience and are looking for a team willing to implement their idea for free.
While this is not your case (at least your not imature - can't think much more than this), there are a lot of things that work both for these teen guys with an idea. Therefore, I sugest you take a look over these MMORPG threats allready over there - it might give you some tips over your project - and it will at least explain why are people bein do harsh over you.

AP and Oberon: Well, I just think that this guy is diferent from the standard MMORPG-kid we all love, while he is just an guy with an idea... well, at least he has his own bussiness or whatever. Anyway... that was actually a good analogy in the end, I realised that after reading it for the second time (and after typing all this... oh well...). Just tought that was too harsh.
Quote:Original post by Oberon_Command
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
I have a great design for a car. ...

Good analogy.

I don't completely agree. He wants to make a strategy game with turn-based combat. Assuming that it doesn't include an open 3D world, the undertaking is probably at least an order of magnitude less difficult than an MMORPG.

Still, I would recommend starting with a much much much easier project.
John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!
did any one mention PHP Game Programming Book
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/159200153X/qid=1121641259/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/104-4687393-5315921?v=glance&s=books&n=507846
sorry i didnt login to post

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/159200153X/qid=1121641259/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/104-4687393-5315921?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

you can make MORPGs with any language you want..so I disagree with the suggestion that it "needs" to be in C++..

There's loads of such games that I found with a quick search through google.

I'd avoid ASP though..just stick with a PHP frontend to MySQL. If you've been in the webgame, then you'll pick up pretty fast that PHP is somewhat like ASP syntax, only it doesn't hang your browser (as much)..;)

Though if you do want some simple graphics..(ie. Like Ultima III or something), then I'd vote for a Flash front end with DB calls to the MySQL.

Again, there's a few projects using that tech already, so it's more than possible.

Myself, I'm only interested in making games/projects I can sell.

I'm old and just want the greenbacks. :)

hth,

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement