looking for an "everything" book

Started by
6 comments, last by Spoonbender 18 years, 9 months ago
Hi again! Well i changed my mind once again about which language that I was going to program with. just becaue Python seems a little to un-advanced for me. I am going to go with C++ So, I am looking for a book that will teach me everything, graphics and the programming side w/ C++. Is there such an animal? If there is please list it here. Thanks, Wirercx
Advertisement
Graphics and the programming side isn't everything and no there aren't such a book. The C++ Programming Language by Bjarne Stroustrup is the most complete book to C++ programming, but not for beginners, it wont teach graphics though.
Quote:
Is there such an animal?

The short answer is no.

The long answer is that there is probably a few books which might fit your criteria, but just because they touch on everything doesn't mean you'll actually learn everything. Indeed, the opposite is often true.
I mean like I do know a lot about the graphoics side but i am really looking for a book that will teach me ground up C++
"Accelerated C++", followed by "Common C++ Knowledge".
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
c++ How to program - Dietel & Dietel

Heres some more intermediate/advanced books to check out:

The c++ programming language - Stroustrup
The c++ standard Library - Josuttis
The 2003 c++ standard
Effective c++
More Effective c++
Modern c++ design - Alexandrescu

Andrew.
Well, to fit all the information into one book that will actually instruct somebody to code from a TextRPG to Half-Life 2 would easily wrap around the globe a few times; pages that is. But, I'm sure you knew that.

Anyway. I'm not an professional by anymeans, and I litterally started coding in C++ this summer. But, what I can show you is my library so far; in order of purchase.

C++ How to Program, Fourth Edition Beginner/Intermediate $37
Beginning Game Programming Advanced $18
-- Bought it by accident... Focus is C, DirectX9, Windows Programming. This one will collect dust. ;]
Beginning C++ Game Programming Beginner $19.75
C++ Primer, Fourth Edition Beginner/Intermediate $30
Game Coding Complete, Second Edition Intermediate $25

I really love all of these books and how they are written. C++ How to Program and C++ Primer will undoubtably be one of the best reference books that you will use (and I highly encourage the purchase ;)... Amazon.com.

If anybody else has a book that I should add to this library, do not hesitate to make contact with me to tell me about it!
Quote:Original post by wirercx
Hi again!

Well i changed my mind once again about which language that I was going to program with. just becaue Python seems a little to un-advanced for me. I am going to go with C++

Unadvanced?
What exactly do you expect C++ to do that you woulnd't be able to do in Python?

Quote:
So, I am looking for a book that will teach me everything, graphics and the programming side w/ C++. Is there such an animal?

Graphics doesn't have much to do with C++. Learn the language, then you can look into using 3rd party libraries, including DirectX or OpenGL to do graphics.

I could be wrong, but it sounds to me like you expect C++ to have some magic "Draw CoolGraphics()" function. It doesn't. It isn't any more "advanced" than Python is. Neither language can do graphics as such. But both languages allow you to use libraries that can do graphics.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement