Sign in to follow this  
Drakex

Redirecting DX debug runtime output?

Drakex    273
Ah, thanks, Microsoft.. release the DX SDK for free, then make it only work correctly with Visual Studio. Wonderful. Anyway, I'm developing in a language other than VC++ or .Net, and I can't seem to find a way to redirect the debug output of the debug DirectX runtimes to anything other than a Visual Studio debug output pane. I can actually create my program, and load it into the Visual Studio debugger, and I can see the debug output, but this is a big pain and kind of interrupts the flow of "compile and run." Is it at all possible to redirect the output of the DirectX debug runtimes to something like a text file? I couldn't find anything in the DirectX control panel. I'm using the June 2005 SDK.

S1CA    1418
The debug DirectX runtimes simply output using the Windows OutputDebugString() function which will output to any debugger that's currently active and listening for that output (i.e. not just MSVC) - I presume the debugger for the alternative language you're using simply isn't listening for Windows debug output.

There's no explicit connection or exclusivity between DirectX and MSVC, though it's likely that combination has recieved more testing and support due to it being the most commonly used.

For your situation, I'd suggest using the free DebugView tool from the http://www.sysinternals.com site (in the miscellaneous section) which will allow you to view and capture all debug output including from DirectX.

Drakex    273
"There's no explicit connection or exclusivity between DirectX and MSVC, though it's likely that combination has recieved more testing and support due to it being the most commonly used."

True, but you do have to admit - releasing the libs in MS's proprietary COFF format is a bit shortsighted. It seems a bit strange that to use DirectX in any compiler that uses OMF (such as any Borland compiler - C++ Builder, Delphi - or the language I'm using, D), I have to download specially converted libraries from a third-party site.

But that DebugView tool works great. Thanks for the link!

[Edited by - Drakex on July 17, 2005 10:49:06 PM]