Sign in to follow this  
DrStroodle

OpenGL Texture Colors Are Wrong

DrStroodle    122
ok, first id like to say im new to openGL, but ive caught on quickly. Im using a texture manager (works perfectly), created a tilemap, and a rigid body physics engine. so far so good... or so i thought. im working in 2D, ortho mode, using SDL + OpenGL. As of recently (ive been up for 3 days straight coding at this point) Textures no longer display witht eh right colors. They all contain a blue tint. it seems as though it was drawn with glColor3f(0.0,0.0,1.0), but it isnt. In fact, to make sure, before every call to render a textured quad, i put glColor3f(1.0,1.0,1.0). It still shows up blue. ive reduced my code to minimal code needed to load a texture and render a textured quad, and its still blue. the only guess i have is possibly something wrong with my file loading routines, which wouldnt make sense since the colors were working previously. anyways, heres my code and maybe you all can see something i dont: //init openGL through SDL
	switch(mPixelBits) {
		case 16:
			SDL_GL_SetAttribute( SDL_GL_RED_SIZE, 5 );
			SDL_GL_SetAttribute( SDL_GL_GREEN_SIZE, 6 );
			SDL_GL_SetAttribute( SDL_GL_BLUE_SIZE, 5 );
			break;
		case 24:
			SDL_GL_SetAttribute( SDL_GL_RED_SIZE, 8 );
			SDL_GL_SetAttribute( SDL_GL_GREEN_SIZE, 8 );
			SDL_GL_SetAttribute( SDL_GL_BLUE_SIZE, 8 );
			break;
		case 32:
			SDL_GL_SetAttribute( SDL_GL_RED_SIZE, 8 );
			SDL_GL_SetAttribute( SDL_GL_GREEN_SIZE, 8 );
			SDL_GL_SetAttribute( SDL_GL_BLUE_SIZE, 8 );
			SDL_GL_SetAttribute( SDL_GL_ALPHA_SIZE, 8 );
			break;
	}

SDL_GL_SetAttribute(SDL_GL_DEPTH_SIZE, mPixelBits);//16 bit depth
	SDL_GL_SetAttribute(SDL_GL_BUFFER_SIZE, mPixelBits);
	SDL_GL_SetAttribute(SDL_GL_DOUBLEBUFFER, 1);//enable double buffering

and here is my OGL init code:

glViewport(0,0,mScreenWidth,mScreenHeight);
	glMatrixMode(GL_PROJECTION);						// Select The Projection Matrix
	glLoadIdentity();									// Reset The Projection Matrix
	glOrtho(0.0f,mScreenWidth-1,0.0,mScreenHeight-1,1.0f,-1.0f);

glMatrixMode(GL_MODELVIEW);							// Select The Modelview Matrix
	glLoadIdentity();									// Reset The Modelview Matrix
	glShadeModel(GL_SMOOTH);							// Enable Smooth Shading
	glClearColor(0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f, 0.5f);				// Black Background
	glClearDepth(1.0f);									// Depth Buffer Setup
	glEnable(GL_DEPTH_TEST);							// Enables Depth Testing
	glDepthFunc(GL_LEQUAL);								// The Type Of Depth Testing To Do
	glHint(GL_PERSPECTIVE_CORRECTION_HINT, GL_NICEST);	// Really Nice Perspective Calculations

//and here is my loading a bitmap & converting to openGL texture function:
	int loadFromFile(std::string &fileName)
	{
		int status = false;
		SDL_Surface *textureImage; 
		if( textureImage=SDL_LoadBMP(fileName.c_str()) )
		{
			status = true;
			GLuint *glText=new GLuint();
			glGenTextures( 1,glText);

/* Typical Texture Generation Using Data From The Bitmap */
			glBindTexture( GL_TEXTURE_2D,(*glText));

int mode=GL_RGB;
			if (textureImage->format->BytesPerPixel == 3) { // RGB 24bit
				mode = GL_RGB;
			} else if (textureImage->format->BytesPerPixel == 4) { // RGBA 32bit
                mode = GL_RGBA;
			}

/* Generate The Texture */
			glTexImage2D( GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, 3, textureImage->w,
				textureImage->h, 0, //GL_BGR,
				mode,
				GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, textureImage->pixels );

/* Linear Filtering */
			glTexParameteri( GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_LINEAR );
			glTexParameteri( GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_LINEAR );

//make our data pointer point to the proper thing
			data=glText;
		}

/* Free up any memory we may have used */
		if (textureImage)
			SDL_FreeSurface(textureImage);
		return status;
	}

here is how i draw the quads
	for(int t=0;t<3;t++)
	{
		if(tile.tileID[t]==-1)//no tile
			continue;

GLuint tx=tile.tileTex[t];
		glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D,tx);

glBegin(GL_QUADS);
		// top left
		glTexCoord2f(tile.texCords[t][0][0],tile.texCords[t][0][1]);
		glVertex3f(0, 0, 0);
		// top right
		glTexCoord2f(tile.texCords[t][1][0],tile.texCords[t][1][1]);
		glVertex3f(mTileWidth, 0, 0);
		// bottom right
		glTexCoord2f(tile.texCords[t][2][0],tile.texCords[t][2][1]);
		glVertex3f(mTileWidth, mTileHeight, 0);
		// bottom left
		glTexCoord2f(tile.texCords[t][3][0],tile.texCords[t][3][1]);
		glVertex3f(0, mTileHeight, 0);
		glEnd();
	}

im completly lost here... All the textures come out funny, but the primitives i draw on top of them (Physics simulation, wireframe rigid bodies) colors are perfectly fine. I can only assume i either did something _REALLY_ weird to openGL, or that its loading my images improperly. BTW: image format: BMP, 24-bits, no alpha; and i have tried a multitude of pixel formats, all with the same result. thanks in advance, i appreciate any help i can get (its driving me nuts). ANd i apologize for any bad typing/rambling/idiocy, i havent slept in several days. happy coding all [Edited by - _the_phantom_ on July 17, 2005 2:34:38 PM]

_the_phantom_    11250

glTexImage2D( GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, 3, textureImage->w,
textureImage->h, 0, //GL_BGR,
mode,
GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, textureImage->pixels );

Thats where your problem is.

Point one; you dont have to use '3' as the 3rd param, you can use GL_RGB.
Point two, 'mode', you never set it to BGR higher in your code, which is the colour format SDL uses.

Point three: use 'source' tags for long bits of code.
I've fixed your post this time.

Koshmaar    989
Hmmmmm, I looked at your code and found no critical errors (that is: bugs which would result in bluish textures). You've got here and there little issues (ie. glOrtho(0.0f,mScreenWidth-1,0.0,mScreenHeight-1,1.0f,-1.0f); <--- there's no need to subtract 1 from mScreenWidth if it's equal to 1024, 800, 640 etc. it should be the same what you pass to glViewport() ), or things which could have been written better (ie. creation of GLuint <--- why use dynamic memory allocation?), but AFAIK nothing serious.

Btw, are you sure you're using proper versions of SDL libs? ie. headers from 1.28, "static" lib from 1.28, dll from 1.28 etc.

Anyway, here's code from my texture manager, which is working nicely with all sorts of .pngs: 32, 24, 16, 8 bit, power of two, not power of two etc. Hope you'll be able to get from it sth usefull:

// it's doing the same as SDL_LoadBMP
SDL_Surface * tmp = IMG_Load(filename.c_str());

if (tmp == 0) return false;

// first check whether it is needed to expand texture size to powers of 2

usint w = tmp->w;
usint h = tmp->h;

usint physicalW = tmp->w;
usint physicalH = tmp->h;

SDL_Surface * image = tmp; // create alias

bool IsWidth = IsPowerOfTwo(w);
bool IsHeight = IsPowerOfTwo(h);

// -------------------------------------------------

if ((!IsWidth) || (!IsHeight) || (tmp->format->BitsPerPixel != 32))
{
// we need to create new SDL_Surface with power of two dimensions and 32 bit color
#ifdef __SC_LOG_TEXTURE_STARTUP__
if ((!IsWidth) || (!IsHeight)) debug("This texture needs to be resized during startup.")
if (tmp->format->BitsPerPixel != 32) debug("This texture needs to have altered color depth.")
debug("In release versions, please remember to fix it so startups will be much shorter.")
#endif

if (!IsWidth) w = PowerOfTwo(w);
if (!IsHeight) h = PowerOfTwo(h);

Uint32 rmask, gmask, bmask, amask;

/*
SDL interprets each pixel as a 32-bit number, so our masks must depend on the endianness
(byte order) of the machine
*/

#if SDL_BYTEORDER == SDL_BIG_ENDIAN
rmask = 0xff000000;
gmask = 0x00ff0000;
bmask = 0x0000ff00;
amask = 0x000000ff;
#else
rmask = 0x000000ff;
gmask = 0x0000ff00;
bmask = 0x00ff0000;
amask = 0xff000000;
#endif

// now image is no longer alias to tmp, rather that new surface
image = SDL_CreateRGBSurface(SDL_SWSURFACE , w, h, 32, rmask, gmask, bmask, amask);

if ( image == 0 )
{
logError2("TextureMgr", "Couldn't allocate memory for expanding texture to power of 2")
SDL_FreeSurface(tmp);
SC_ASSERT(!"Couldn't allocate memory for expanding texture to power of 2")
return false;
}

SDL_Rect area;
area.x = 0;
area.y = 0;
area.w = tmp->w;
area.h = tmp->h;

// it was fucking stupid bug with 32 bpp textures that needed to be resized
if ( tmp->format->BitsPerPixel == 32)
SDL_SetAlpha(tmp, 0, 0);

// copy the tmp into the new GL texture image
SDL_BlitSurface(tmp, &area, image, &area);
SDL_FreeSurface(tmp);
tmp = 0;
}

TextureHandle textureHwnd;

glGenTextures(1, &textureHwnd.id);
glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, textureHwnd.id);

glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_NEAREST);
glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_NEAREST);

glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_S, GL_REPEAT);
glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_T, GL_REPEAT);

// we're always creating RGBA textures
glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL_RGBA, w, h, 0, GL_RGBA, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, image->pixels);

textureHwnd.width = w;
textureHwnd.height = h;
textureHwnd.physicalWidth = physicalW;
textureHwnd.physicalHeight = physicalH;
textureHwnd.refCount = 1;

if (tmp) SDL_FreeSurface(tmp);
else SDL_FreeSurface(image);

// now add it to map
(_itor->second)->insert(TextureGroupPair(_textureName, textureHwnd));

return true;

Btw, if you want to paste code, do it inside source tags (write source inside brackets).

DrStroodle    122
Thanks for fixing my post, i used < code > < /code > brackets, sorry about that. I'll be sure to keep taht in mind next time.

and thanks for pointing out my problem,i really had no idea it was that function call messing things up for me. That was the code i had the most faith in, since it was a direct copy off of the Nehe Tutorials.

well, thanks :)

koshmaar: thanks, ill take a look at your code and see what i can change in my routins for my manager. I know some of it needs cleaning, a bit of that code is taken from tutorials, and i havent gotton around to changing them up yet since they seemed to work for the most part. :)

[EDIT]
GL_RBG isnt defined anywhere in my openGL libraries, where am i supposed to find it?

DrStroodle    122
Thanks for everyone who helped me ! :) :) colors are working again.
Gotta love microsoft for not offering more updates to openGL.

thanks for pointing me to those files, _phantom_. and thanks for the code koshmaar, i think im going to use the size conversion idea of yours.