Creating a WorldEditor

Started by
2 comments, last by SimmerD 18 years, 9 months ago
Hello, Thanks for taking the time to read this. I am trying to create World Editor, and quite simply I dont know how to create the enviroment I am seeking. I want to create a Window that on the left side has a tool bar from top to bottom, that changes depending on what the user is doing. On the right of that I want to render my world. Once i getting this very simple setup completed im certain i will be able to do what i want. I would also hope to do this with out using MFC. I am currently using MSVS .Net Any help or links would be great, thanks in advance.
Advertisement
Could I maybe suggest you create the interface in Visual Basic? And you can then interface DirectX using it, it'll save you so much effort.

That is, if you know VB.

There was a great GameDev tutorial about creating exactly what you're looking for with MFC, can't remember offhand where to get it but click on Articles under Resources on the blue navigation bar at the top of the page.

You might find it in there.
Well, you could be setting active/inactive, visibility/invisible for certain buttons and other controls. This is cool in run-time, but hard to build in the dialog editor in VS, as some of the controls would have been in same place as others. Very messy.

What you could try, is to create another dialog in a separate window. And exchange those dialogs when needed. Designing the looks and wheres of all the buttons and controls for each dialog would then have been a clean work.
Old pascal-delphi IDE was working that way.

EDIT: Oh, you meant without using MFC! Many people have same problem. I suggest looking for some free GUIs. There's a sticky thread about that in opengl forums, you may check it out. As far as I know, the guy is been getting somewhere with his work. If you're using DirectX, however, I cannot help you. Building the interface from scratch, as suggestred by AP, is the way, but long and painful, and probably may spoil all your fun...
I am using manged c++ and windows forms with visual studio.net 2003 to get a similar system to what you describe. Look in my journal below to see how it looks in some of my screenshots.

I use a tabbed dialog with each tab corresponding to a mode for editing entities, triangles, vertices, etc.

.net is kind of a hog, though. It uses 440mb before I've even loaded a level... ;(

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement