Sign in to follow this  

How to make files invisible

This topic is 4530 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'v seen some programs that can make directories locked or make the files inside a directory invisible. I checked the directories and the files were not hidden and not system files. How does it work?? (Win32 API functions would be nice)

Quote:
Original post by Fruny
Won't work for those who have administrator rights.

Which, on Windows, is inevitably almost everybody.

[Edited by - Promit on July 17, 2005 6:26:24 PM]

Quote:
Original post by Promit
Quote:
Original post by Fruny
Won't work for those who have administrator rights.

Except in actual corporate environments, in which majority of the end users are not programmers.

Quote:
Original post by Promit

Well, hardly inevitabely. On Windows XP/2000/2003 etc. you can create a user without Administrator rights and use that one to do your daily work.
In fact, that is the recommonded way of using your computer.
Ok, you can change to Administrator every time you want. As a protection of your game data this will not work, but I cannot distill from the OP's post that that is his intent.

If I was aware that a program would do that when I ran it, I would immediately remove it from my computer. I require (sometimes to the point of obsession, perhaps) control over how my computer operates, especially in being able to see what files are on my hard drive. (This allows me to keep it running cleaner and tighter, and therefore more stable and with more speed, than most other PC's with the same specifications.) To me, and to a lot of people I think, hiding from them the files that are on their hard drive is a Bad Thing(tm).

What are you trying to accomplish? If it's just that you don't want people hacking your data and redistributing it, there are steps you can take from simple obfuscation to compression and encryption that will discourage most wannabes. (If someone's really determined, they'll be able to hack it no matter what...heh).

This topic is 4530 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.