Ugly Gaps between Tiles

Started by
11 comments, last by intrest86 18 years, 9 months ago
Hey everyone, I was hoping someone could help me out with this: I just finished a routine recently that takes a map of a room (just a two-dimensional array of booleans where true=part of room) and then creates the vertex buffers for the floor and walls. Right now each column of the floor is 1 quad, just to keep life simple. However, there are some ugly white pixels that appear between each column of the floor. They aren't constant, they flicker back and forth as I rotate the model. They are also always on the right of the column (where right means positive x). I've checked the data used to initialize the buffers, and the vertices that are all in one seam have the same x values. Anyone have any idea what is going on? Are the coordinates not inclusive, maybe?
Turring Machines are better than C++ any day ^_~
Advertisement
What are your near and far clipping planes set to?

Chris
Chris ByersMicrosoft DirectX MVP - 2005
My near and far planes are at 2 and 100, and I am using a 16bit Depth Buffer. Any ideas?

Edit: Well, I've found a hack to fix it by turning on AntiAliasing (Multisampling), but it seems like a really bad way to do it. If anyone has any ideas for how to really get reid of the gaps the right way, I'd be greatful.
Just a shot in the dark: could there be something wrong with the textures?
In other words, do these artifact also appear on non-textured quads?
The white dots are most likely your background (or whatever is behind the floor) peeking through. The effect is caused by your vertices not lining up exactly. The system the video card uses to fill polygons makes it very easy to see this effect. The only answer is to make sure the neighboring vertices are in exactly the same coordinates. That means the left side of one quad needs to be lined up exactly with the right side of one on it's left, and so forth.

Make your editor use snap values so your objects can be lined up on a grid. If each section of your floor is 32.2 in width, make sure the floors are spaced exactly 32.2 points away from each other.
Quote:Original post by WanMaster
Just a shot in the dark: could there be something wrong with the textures?
In other words, do these artifact also appear on non-textured quads?

I just gave it a try with Textured and Colored quads, and had the same problem.

Jiaa, I checked the values for each vertex of the floor after each was created (I lock the vertex buffer then right in the data). In that stage they are all completely lined up, ie all vertices on the left of column 1 have x=0, all on the right of column 1 and left of column 2 have x=.75, etc
I ran into this when using a high resolution and attempting to line up square meshes that I laoded for example. The problem is there are slight inaccuracies/differences when each mesh is calculated, and then when it is translaoted and blitted to the screen, these inaccuracies show their ugly faces. The only method that Im aware of is using a SINGLE vertex buffer that doesn't redefine any of the points (all unique positions). Then build a single solid mesh from this. You can also create a routine to create a new SINGLE vertex buffer and hand it your mesh(es) and position, checking for any repeated points and utilizing the already define points with your added mesh(es) (just do a linear search for each piont and be lazy). Of course this becomes mroe complicated as you start using more textures, becaus eyou have to keep track of what polys need to be drawn as what texture.

BTW- this cracking and flickering effect is usually more apaprent in high resolutions than in low.

-Hope this helps
Is that actually what is happening, though? Is your background color white? Or if the entire floor is missing, is white under it? If not, then it might be texture related.

If it isn't texture related, then I'm confused. The only time I've ever seen the gap problem was because the vertices were unwelded. If you use a vertex shader, you can test out a little hack to see if it fixes the problem. Here's some code for HLSL:

VertPos.x = int( VertPos.x + 0.5f );
VertPos.y = int( VertPos.y + 0.5f );
VertPos.z = int( VertPos.z + 0.5f );

Of course this will line them up on a 1.0x1.0 grid. If they are at smaller values, it will just make a mess of things and give you a bunch of gaps. Make sure you place this code before you multiply the vertex coordinates with your view or projection matrices.
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
I ran into this when using a high resolution and attempting to line up square meshes that I laoded for example. The problem is there are slight inaccuracies/differences when each mesh is calculated, and then when it is translaoted and blitted to the screen, these inaccuracies show their ugly faces. The only method that Im aware of is using a SINGLE vertex buffer that doesn't redefine any of the points (all unique positions). Then build a single solid mesh from this. You can also create a routine to create a new SINGLE vertex buffer and hand it your mesh(es) and position, checking for any repeated points and utilizing the already define points with your added mesh(es) (just do a linear search for each piont and be lazy). Of course this becomes mroe complicated as you start using more textures, becaus eyou have to keep track of what polys need to be drawn as what texture.

BTW- this cracking and flickering effect is usually more apaprent in high resolutions than in low.

-Hope this helps

Interesting. So, assuming this si the problem, the best solution would appear to be putting all of the used vertices once into a Vertex buffer, and then builing my triangle list with an Index Buffer? That is certainly possible to tie up the seams between the floor tiles.

I haven't mentioned this yet, ,but I am also getting the same seam problem between each column and the wall beside it (if there is one). It is technically possible to put the wall vertices also into the buffer (which basically means adding a second layer of vertices made up of the edge of the floor but heigher), but I'll have to play some games with texture coordinates. Is this advisable?
Quote:Original post by Jiia
Is that actually what is happening, though? Is your background color white? Or if the entire floor is missing, is white under it? If not, then it might be texture related.

If it isn't texture related, then I'm confused. The only time I've ever seen the gap problem was because the vertices were unwelded. If you use a vertex shader, you can test out a little hack to see if it fixes the problem. Here's some code for HLSL:

VertPos.x = int( VertPos.x + 0.5f );
VertPos.y = int( VertPos.y + 0.5f );
VertPos.z = int( VertPos.z + 0.5f );

Of course this will line them up on a 1.0x1.0 grid. If they are at smaller values, it will just make a mess of things and give you a bunch of gaps. Make sure you place this code before you multiply the vertex coordinates with your view or projection matrices.

Yes, the background is showing through in the gaps. I changed the color to red just to make sure, and all of the dots in the gaps did change color to red. I also used some Colored quads instead of Textured quads and had the same problem, so I think it is saf to rule out a texture problem. I'm only using the Fixed Function pipeline too.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement