Sign in to follow this  
sathenzar

DirectX 9 Game books...?

sathenzar    100
Hey everyone, I was wondering what would be some of the best books on DirectX 9 Game programming? I have very little knowledge on DirectX 9 even though I can make a very basic application (display poloyons, load a mesh, etc.) I need a beginnning book. Any suggustions? Thanks in advance.

PumpkinPieman    382
Well the book I bought was "Programming Role-Playing Games in Direct X", but if I were to tell myself anything in the past it would be that I'm better off learning it on my own. I think the best place to start is MSDN and I really do believe that, even though most books are 'quick fixes' so to speak, the majority of learning is done through practice. Besides, if you're ever stuck on a problem they're people here who are willing to help you through your trials and tribulations.

Specchum    242
Introduction to Game Programming With Directx 9 by Frank D. Luna is simply an amazing book to start off with. Very well written and good examples to boot. Highly recommended by me! :)

i24021    100
Quote:
Original post by Specchum
Introduction to Game Programming With Directx 9 by Frank D. Luna is simply an amazing book to start off with. Very well written and good examples to boot. Highly recommended by me! :)

I can only agree with that, for me it's the best one

GodlyGamr    396
Quote:

Thirded.

IlyaZ    134
Quote:

Definately. I've also got "Programming Role Playing Games with DirectX" (it's 8.0) by André LaMothe and it's very good too. Buy them both. ;)

vacatola    122
Quote:

i've read through this book and it is excellent, probably the best there is. the book i have is Programming a Multiplayer FPS in DirectX by Vaughn Young and it is very good as well, although i am left dumbfounded at times since it takes me a while to wrap my head around some of the concepts as i am new at this

Quote:
Original post by DJHoy
One of the better books that I got was Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus by Andre LaMothe - it's pretty comprehensive, although I'd have to say it's not for beginners...

I'm pretty sure that's not DirectX 9. I heard it uses DirectDraw (hello there DirectX 7).

EDIT: If you download the DirectX 9 SDK from Microsoft (which you'll have to if you want to use DirectX anyway) it comes with rather nice documentation. Along with being a reference, it contains tutorials and "programming guides".

I started off using "Beginning DirectX9" by Wendy Jones. It got me started, but the book was pretty sloppy. Later on when I discovered the DirectX 9 documentation I found out that the book was nearly a copy and paste of the documentation...

Anyway, I think learning from the docs is doable if used in conjunction with various online tutorials/resources, or supplemental to a book if you choose to get one.