DirectX 9 Game books...?

Started by
7 comments, last by load_bitmap_file 18 years, 9 months ago
Hey everyone, I was wondering what would be some of the best books on DirectX 9 Game programming? I have very little knowledge on DirectX 9 even though I can make a very basic application (display poloyons, load a mesh, etc.) I need a beginnning book. Any suggustions? Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
Well the book I bought was "Programming Role-Playing Games in Direct X", but if I were to tell myself anything in the past it would be that I'm better off learning it on my own. I think the best place to start is MSDN and I really do believe that, even though most books are 'quick fixes' so to speak, the majority of learning is done through practice. Besides, if you're ever stuck on a problem they're people here who are willing to help you through your trials and tribulations.
One of the better books that I got was Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus by Andre LaMothe - it's pretty comprehensive, although I'd have to say it's not for beginners...
Introduction to Game Programming With Directx 9 by Frank D. Luna is simply an amazing book to start off with. Very well written and good examples to boot. Highly recommended by me! :)
"There is no dark side of the moon." - Pink Floyd
Quote:Original post by Specchum
Introduction to Game Programming With Directx 9 by Frank D. Luna is simply an amazing book to start off with. Very well written and good examples to boot. Highly recommended by me! :)

I can only agree with that, for me it's the best one

Thirded.

Definately. I've also got "Programming Role Playing Games with DirectX" (it's 8.0) by André LaMothe and it's very good too. Buy them both. ;)

i've read through this book and it is excellent, probably the best there is. the book i have is Programming a Multiplayer FPS in DirectX by Vaughn Young and it is very good as well, although i am left dumbfounded at times since it takes me a while to wrap my head around some of the concepts as i am new at this
Quote:Original post by DJHoy
One of the better books that I got was Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus by Andre LaMothe - it's pretty comprehensive, although I'd have to say it's not for beginners...

I'm pretty sure that's not DirectX 9. I heard it uses DirectDraw (hello there DirectX 7).

EDIT: If you download the DirectX 9 SDK from Microsoft (which you'll have to if you want to use DirectX anyway) it comes with rather nice documentation. Along with being a reference, it contains tutorials and "programming guides".

I started off using "Beginning DirectX9" by Wendy Jones. It got me started, but the book was pretty sloppy. Later on when I discovered the DirectX 9 documentation I found out that the book was nearly a copy and paste of the documentation...

Anyway, I think learning from the docs is doable if used in conjunction with various online tutorials/resources, or supplemental to a book if you choose to get one.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement