Please Point Me In The Right Direction

Started by
7 comments, last by Mr_Goodwrench120 18 years, 9 months ago
I recently started learning OpenGL, I have had some previous experience with C++ but nothing too serious... When I got to NeHe's tutorials I got really confused, can anyone tell me where I should start learning it, I mean the tutorials are good and all but i dont understand every bit of code that goes into making the window let alone texture mapping and all the cool stuff. So should I learn C++ more extencively or is OpenGL just hard to understand? Also I am good at making and animating models in 3DS MAX, can you import them into OpenGL, animations and all?, thanks for the help...
Advertisement
If you're just starting out, I wouldn't be too concerned about learning how to make the window. Take everything in small chunks. There's quite a bit learn. Go through all the tutorials you can find, buy a book or two, try out a few ideas, and things will start to make sense.
Thanks, I bought a book "Beginning OpenGL", and will read it when it is delivered... But should I gain on C++ knowlege or just dive into OpenGL?
Hi Mr_Goodwrench120,

I was just as confused as you when I started learning opengl from nehe. Mainly because I did not know the win32 API at all.

I ended up skiping the tutorial about window creation and jumped straight into rest without issue.

If you get confused with the window creation code, try looking for a couple of tutorials on GLUT or setting up SDL.

-- Steven Ashley
Thanks guys, I now have a question about 3DS MAX, I used it for a while and am pretty good at making models and animating them... so can I import the .3ds files with animations and textures that are assigned to them into OpenGL format, or do I have to draw and animate them using OpenGL? Because I took your advice and went to the later tutorials and it takes several lines of code to make a cube. I dont want to know how long it would take me to make a person or a table using OpenGL. I know all the coordinates for all vertecies are in the .3ds file so do I have to convert them somehow, how does that work?? any suggestions??
OpenGL doesn't have a pre-defined file format. You can read in the 3ds file and parse it however you want. There are probably several examples of other people doing that out there, just google for it.
You are the man!!! http://lib3ds.sourceforge.net/ this looks like the site to go, if interested check it out!
I wouldn't recommend you to use 3ds format,because it doesn't support per-vertex animation,and consequently you have no skeletal animation,which is one of the must-have features of a modern graphics engine.
Try to use format like cal3d format(http://cal3d.sourceforge.net),or at least md2 or md3 format(http://www.gametutorials.com)
Cal3d looks cool but I dont know how to create models in cal3d, you probably know way more then me about making games so i will download it and mess around with it, thanks bro!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement