cin.get(store[get]);//uses value of int get to say which 
                            //"cell" it needs to be stored in
    }
    cout<<"You entered ";
    for(show=0; show<amount; show++)
    {cout<<store[show]<<", ";}//returns input
    cin.ignore();
}
//The only thing I need now is to get it to work!

Thanks. Gonna' expand on something like this for that trivia game I was foolishly talkin' 'bout earlier. What is a vector? (idiot's terms, please)
-Mat² §alley©-
Advertisement
i'm guessing this either won't compile or is giving you wierd output. the reason is because you are creating an array of unknown size. If you were doing dynamic allocation that would be fine but here you are creating a fixed size array. The problem is that the variable 'amount' isn't known at compile time so the compiler doesn't know how much memory to allocate for your 'store' array. Move the cin >> amount line before the char store[amount] and it should be fine.
Wow, yeah, I knew that. [hits himself in the head]
What is a vector?
-Mat² §alley©-
Quote:Original post by Morpheus011
i'm guessing this either won't compile or is giving you wierd output. the reason is because you are creating an array of unknown size. If you were doing dynamic allocation that would be fine but here you are creating a fixed size array. The problem is that the variable 'amount' isn't known at compile time so the compiler doesn't know how much memory to allocate for your 'store' array. Move the cin >> amount line before the char store[amount] and it should be fine.

It won't work. See this .

EDIT: If you want to make an array whose size you specify at runtime you'd do something like this:
cin >> amount;char* store = new char[amount];//later on before store goes out of scope remember to call delete[]delete[] store;

Then again, you probably want to use std::vector since it's really cool. I assume you don't know about it yet, so here's a link to some documentation and some brief examples. Vectors!
It does kind of work, except that it tries to take input 2 characters at a time, only allowing the user to store half of what he/she wants to.
-Mat² §alley©-
Thanks l_b_f!
-Mat² §alley©-
It takes two charecters at a time because it reads the new line charecter you hit aftre the input of the charecter(most probably).It is not the best way to input the charecters one by one.If you give me an idea what you need this for I might be able to give an idea for a better way.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement