Mod Development(Battlefield 2)

Started by
3 comments, last by ukdeveloper 18 years, 9 months ago
I've decided to learn how to make mods and I want to eventually make some for Battlefield 2 but I have no idea where to start. Does mod making differ from game to game or is it pretty much the same? I'm really confused about all this so any help(or a link to a tutorial) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Advertisement
This will probably be of interest to you. I don't actually know anything about modding the Battlefield games, but someone asked once before and I remembered digging up that link for them.

Modding games will tend to vary somewhat from game to game, but most will be reasonably similar. You'll need to look into what tools are available for the particular game you're interested in, if they've released an SDK, etc. I'd also strongly suggest Googling for any information other people may have provided, such as modding tutorials, sample code, etc.

Hope that helps you at least a bit. [smile]

- Jason Astle-Adams

That's something I'm interested in too.

Battlefield 2 is just crying out to be modded, think of the possibilities with that engine and the ease with which mods, even if you've only tweaked the tank physics, can be run in game.
Thanks, I'm confused about the MDT though, I see there is a lot of work with graphics, but what does a coder do in the MDT? Is it just for graphics and the coder has to work separately with a different program or something? I'm kind of confused about this. The MDT only works for 1942 and Vietnam so I can't use it because there isn't a MDT for BF2, I'll just have to wait, or do I not need it?
The MDT, IIRC, is a set of tools to make your mod into a format Battlefield can understand.

.rfa files are archives which contain all the information, such as sounds, vehicle data etc, and each mod is a collection of such files.

You need the MDT to make the .rfa files, you can't do this on your own manually. So yes, you will need it when it becomes available, which should be soon (we hope :) )

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement