need help with SDL and pong

Started by
10 comments, last by ultrasurge 18 years, 9 months ago
Hey again, I am still pretty new to SDL and im playing around with the graphics, im not actually making pong yet, just trying to figure out some of aspects of SDL. my problem is that I have made moving paddles w/ keyboard input, and barrers on the top and bottom, I have also made a ball move around the screen, but I cannot figure out how to make the paddle move as the ball is moving around, basically put them together and make them work. I dont know if im supposed to make a surface to the ball, and a surface for the paddles or somethign to do with events, please advise, i'll post the code if you need, ill be back to check in two hours or so. thanks
Advertisement
Well, if you want an unbeatable computer take the computer's paddle and make it constantly the Y of the ball! Now, if you take that and tone it down a bit, maybe set a maximum speed for the computer and constantly move the computer's paddle's Y to the ball's Y at it's maximum speed, you have a game!
The best thing to do is just choose whatever you think you'd prefer, and go for it. -Promit
yeah, i figured out the game dynamics, where the ball should go and things like that, and i don't really want a unbeatable computer, my problem is that i can't make the keyboard input work with a moving ball, when i try this the keyboard doesn't let the ball move properly, any ideas?
What? The keyboard moves the ball..? Maybe you should post the code...
The best thing to do is just choose whatever you think you'd prefer, and go for it. -Promit
Try creating two surfaces - one for the ball and one for the paddle. Create variables (integers or floats) for the positions of the paddles and ball, and another set of variables for the velocity of the ball. Update those only. When it comes time to draw, use the positions of the objects to create destination rectangles.

//Globals
float LeftPaddlePosX;
float LeftPaddlePosY;
float RightPaddlePosX;
float RightPaddlePosY;
float BallPosX;
float BallPosY;
float BallVelX;
float BallVelY;

// Update positions
BallPosX += BallVelX;
BallPosY += BallVelY;
// Use AI to move left paddle. Keyboard to move right paddle

// Draw scene
SDL_Rect destrect = SDL_Rect (LeftPaddlePosX, LeftPaddlePosY, LeftPaddlePosX + paddleWidth, LeftPaddlePosY + paddleheight);
sdl_blit (leftpaddle, 0, screen, destrect);
SDL_Rect destrect = SDL_Rect (RightPaddlePosX, RightPaddlePosY, RightPaddlePosX + paddleWidth, RightPaddlePosY + paddleheight);
sdl_blit (rightpaddle, 0, screen, destrect);
SDL_Rect destrect = SDL_Rect (BallPosX, BallPosY, BallPosX + ballWidth, BallPosY + ballheight);
sdl_blit (ball, 0, screen, destrect);

If this doesn't work, would you mind posting your code for the main game loop and event processor? I just want to make sure that you are not waiting for events to occur before you update your game.
....[size="1"]Brent Gunning
first of all, thanks for the detailed reply skittleo, thats my exact problem, and by the way you wrote that explanation it seems like I haven't even structured my program efficiently, Im going to post my code, hopefully you can help me out with it, otherwise thanks again for the help,

#include <SDL/SDL.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

const int SCREEN_WIDTH=640;
const int SCREEN_HEIGHT=480;

SDL_Surface* r_pDisplaySurface = NULL;
SDL_Surface* r_pBitmapSurface = NULL;
SDL_Rect r_SrcRect,r_DstRect;

SDL_Surface* g_pDisplaySurface = NULL;
SDL_Surface* g_pBitmapSurface = NULL;
SDL_Event g_Event;
SDL_Event r_Event;

SDL_Rect g_SrcRect,g_DstRect;

SDL_Event keyevent;

int main(int argc, char* argv[])
{

Uint8* keys;
if (SDL_Init(SDL_INIT_VIDEO)==-1)
{
fprintf(stderr,"Could not initialize SDL!\n");
}

atexit(SDL_Quit);

g_pDisplaySurface=SDL_SetVideoMode(SCREEN_WIDTH,SCREEN_HEIGHT,0,SDL_ANYFORMAT);
g_pBitmapSurface=SDL_LoadBMP("paddle.bmp");
g_SrcRect.w=g_DstRect.w=g_pBitmapSurface->w;
g_SrcRect.h=g_DstRect.h=g_pBitmapSurface->h;
g_SrcRect.x=g_SrcRect.y=0;

r_pDisplaySurface=SDL_SetVideoMode(SCREEN_WIDTH,SCREEN_HEIGHT,0,SDL_ANYFORMAT);
r_pBitmapSurface=SDL_LoadBMP("ball.bmp");
r_SrcRect.w=r_DstRect.w=r_pBitmapSurface->w;
r_SrcRect.h=r_DstRect.h=r_pBitmapSurface->h;
r_SrcRect.x=r_SrcRect.y=0;

int a,b,c=0;
int done=0;

while(done == 0)
{
SDL_Event event;

while ( SDL_PollEvent(&event) )
{
if ( event.type == SDL_QUIT ) { done = 1; }

if ( event.type == SDL_KEYDOWN )
{
if ( event.key.keysym.sym == SDLK_ESCAPE ) { done = 1; }
}
}

g_DstRect.x=0;
r_DstRect.x=30;
r_DstRect.y=50;
// r_DstRect.x=50;
//r_DstRect.y=50;

keys = SDL_GetKeyState(NULL);
//---------------------------------------trying to do the movement of ball
for (a=1; a<=20; a++)
{
r_DstRect.x += a;

SDL_BlitSurface(r_pBitmapSurface,&r_SrcRect,r_pDisplaySurface,&r_DstRect);
SDL_UpdateRect(r_pDisplaySurface,0,0,0,0);

}
//---------------------------------------trying to do the movement of ball

if ( keys[SDLK_UP] && g_DstRect.y>-30 ) { g_DstRect.y -= 12; }
if ( keys[SDLK_DOWN] && g_DstRect.y<380 ) { g_DstRect.y += 12; }

SDL_BlitSurface(g_pBitmapSurface,&g_SrcRect,g_pDisplaySurface,&g_DstRect);
SDL_UpdateRect(g_pDisplaySurface,0,0,0,0);

}
return(0);

}

ps sorry for lack of comments ;-)
Heh I see your problem. Your ball code and paddle code are intertwined in a way that would produce very strange results .

First, notice how you reset destrect each frame. You want your ball and paddle positions to be persistent AND independent of each other. So you'll need some globals to fix that like I recommended. Don't use the destination rectangle to store the ball and paddle positions. Use it to draw the balls and paddles.

Second, you shouldn't be updating the screen more than once per frame. That while loop where you update the ball position needs to be removed.

Your final code should look similar to this. I based it off of your code. Read through it and see if it makes sense. This code holds no guarantee of working.

#include <SDL/SDL.h>#include <stdlib.h>////// GLOBALSconst int SCREEN_WIDTH=640;const int SCREEN_HEIGHT=480;SDL_Surface* r_pDisplaySurface = NULL;SDL_Surface* r_pBitmapSurface = NULL;SDL_Rect r_SrcRect,r_DstRect;SDL_Surface* g_pDisplaySurface = NULL;SDL_Surface* g_pBitmapSurface = NULL;SDL_Event g_Event;SDL_Event r_Event;SDL_Rect g_SrcRect,g_DstRect;SDL_Event keyevent;float LeftPaddlePosX;float LeftPaddlePosY;float RightPaddlePosX;float RightPaddlePosY;float BallPosX;float BallPosY;float BallVelX;float BallVelY;int main(int argc, char* argv[]){   Uint8* keys;   if (SDL_Init(SDL_INIT_VIDEO)==-1)   {   fprintf(stderr,"Could not initialize SDL!\n");   }   atexit(SDL_Quit);   g_pDisplaySurface=SDL_SetVideoMode(SCREEN_WIDTH,SCREEN_HEIGHT,0,SDL_ANYFORMAT);   g_pBitmapSurface=SDL_LoadBMP("paddle.bmp");   g_SrcRect.w=g_DstRect.w=g_pBitmapSurface->w;   g_SrcRect.h=g_DstRect.h=g_pBitmapSurface->h;   g_SrcRect.x=g_SrcRect.y=0;   r_pDisplaySurface=SDL_SetVideoMode(SCREEN_WIDTH,SCREEN_HEIGHT,0,SDL_ANYFORMAT);   r_pBitmapSurface=SDL_LoadBMP("ball.bmp");   r_SrcRect.w=r_DstRect.w=r_pBitmapSurface->w;   r_SrcRect.h=r_DstRect.h=r_pBitmapSurface->h;   r_SrcRect.x=r_SrcRect.y=0;   int a,b,c=0;   int done=0;	// Set initial component positions   LeftPaddlePosX = 50;   LeftPaddlePosY = 100;   BallPosX = 150;   BallPosY = 250;   BallVelX = 0.25f;   BallVelY = 0.25f;   while(done == 0)   {      SDL_Event event;      while ( SDL_PollEvent(&event) )      {         if ( event.type == SDL_QUIT ) { done = 1; }         if ( event.type == SDL_KEYDOWN )         {            if ( event.key.keysym.sym == SDLK_ESCAPE ) { done = 1; }         }      }      keys = SDL_GetKeyState(NULL);	// Move the ball      BallPosX += BallVelX;      BallPosY += BallVelY;	// Draw the ball      g_DstRect.x = BallPosX       g_DstRect.y = BallPosY       SDL_BlitSurface(r_pBitmapSurface,&r_SrcRect,r_pDisplaySurface,&r_DstRect);      SDL_UpdateRect(r_pDisplaySurface,0,0,0,0);	// Move the paddle      if ( keys[SDLK_UP] && LeftPaddlePosY >-30 ) { LeftPaddlePosY -= 12; }      if ( keys[SDLK_DOWN] && LeftPaddlePosY <380 ) LeftPaddlePosY += 12; }	// Draw the paddle      g_DstRect.x = LeftPaddlePosX;      g_DstRect.y = LeftPaddlePosY;      SDL_BlitSurface(g_pBitmapSurface,&g_SrcRect,g_pDisplaySurface,&g_DstRect);	// Update the screen      SDL_UpdateRect(g_pDisplaySurface,0,0,0,0);   }   // TODO: HERE YOU NEED TO CLEAN UP ALL OF YOUR RESOURCES   return(0);}
....[size="1"]Brent Gunning
hey

thanks for the reply, i think i understand the way sdl works now, im sure i'll be able to figure it out now, ill reply once im finished or if i have another question.

thanks again.
k, i got the ball to move with the paddle, what is with the lag tho? the ball slows down then the paddle slows down and vice versa.. im thinkin i need to do some kind of resource clearing or something like skittleo said

// TODO: HERE YOU NEED TO CLEAN UP ALL OF YOUR RESOURCES

but I don't quite know how to do that, any help would be appreciated.

thanks in advance
btw i just tried a double buff:

g_pDisplaySurface=SDL_SetVideoMode(SCREEN_WIDTH,SCREEN_HEIGHT,32,SDL_DOUBLEBUF);
r_pDisplaySurface=SDL_SetVideoMode(SCREEN_WIDTH,SCREEN_HEIGHT,32,SDL_DOUBLEBUF);

it helped smooth out a little bit, but not as much as i like, it still slows down
any ideas,
thanks

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement