Arpeggio?

Started by
8 comments, last by Iron Chef Carnage 18 years, 9 months ago
I'm sure this can be used for a group of islands, but all the online dictionaries only list the musical version. Am I crazy - I want to use it in a game name but can't if it doesn't actually mean waht I think (As in: The _____ Arpeggio").
Advertisement
If you mean the geological term, I think it is archipellago (that's what they call it in civ3)
Archipelago = groups of isles
Arpeggio = sound produced by 'Arpa' it's a musical instrument

both words are italian ( not sure about the etimology for the first though )
Ah yes, that rings a bell. Archipelago - an even better word IMO.
Now I just need the other word for the title - it's an RTS where some stuff has great value for some reason (original I know). The name of the stuff will I think be in the title ie "The Tiberium Archipelago".
Ideally the name will not just be something like Trilithium but clever-sounding :(

Anyone here good at that - I can stick you in the credits if I choose your name?!
is this stuff going to be used for anything in particular, or is it just one of those "collect this to get money to build some more barracks" type things? because perhaps the name should reflect something about it, if it is useful.

you could always make something up, too.

in any case it should rhyme :)

--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
Quote:Original post by ketek
Archipelago = groups of isles
Arpeggio = sound produced by 'Arpa' it's a musical instrument

both words are italian ( not sure about the etimology for the first though )

Since we're going into spelling, it's etymology.
Durham, UK!?! Britain is in an archipellago!
Quote:Original post by krez
is this stuff going to be used for anything in particular, or is it just one of those "collect this to get money to build some more barracks" type things? because perhaps the name should reflect something about it, if it is useful.

you could always make something up, too.

in any case it should rhyme :)
I haven't figured out what makes it valuable yet. I don't know if your ability to build barracks etc will require it - you might have to get the special stuff to sell/pass the mission, and maybe collect another resource for building. Warcraft II did multiple resource management quite well where you had to get oil, wood & gold.

Maybe the game could just be called: Archipelago?

FWIW, the term "Arpeggio" musically refers to playing the notes of a chord individually (melodically) versus striking the notes all at once (harmonically).

Think about Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata" - an A-minor chord, each note played one at a time, in tempo (3/4)... of course, you'll get residual harmonics from the note sustain...

anyway, I'm straying way off course here :(

-Razorguts
AB HarrisEngineer, RG Studios
It's tough to come up with an appropriate name for something if you don't quite know what it's for.

Do you want it to sound like an element? Celdorium? Fusigen? Pirellion?

Do you want it to sound magical? Astromagion? Enchaltricum? Metaessence?

Maybe a random cool-sounding compound word? Firebasalt? Dragontears? Kingspirit?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement