Design of a Game

Started by
4 comments, last by ursus 18 years, 9 months ago
I think it's good to have a clear idea of the structure/features of a game. What functions are needed and what they do got to be listed somehow, because it's easier to make changes that don't affect the whole game that way. I know of a system where you put boxes representing classes and functions and lines connecting them, but it's tedious writing them down on a piece of paper and my handwriting is awful. Are there any good programs that lets you create all these boxes and print them out on a paper? What is that system called anyway?
Advertisement
its called UML. It stands for Unified Modeling Language. Im studying comp sci at uni, and UML is very important. if you want to do progrmaming for a living get used to it. ive actually found it useful.

what i used at school is called minimUML, but frankly its a piece of crap. it can export your uml diagram as an XML file though :-D. other then that im not sure what programs you can use, i know ibm came out with a Rational tool for it, google it and find one you like.

ive used paint before.
---------Coming soon! Microcosm II.
UMLPad to the rescue!
i was wondering, how useful such the software may be for larger projects. i guess the funtions would have to be distributed or sybolised as putting all the functions on one sheet would most likely end up in a huge web that kind of difficult to read.

once, when i was designing one of my projects i had to simplify functions or to use some sort of blocks of functions to keep the schematics readable. i wonder how pros do it. do they print half a mile of paper?
most people make abstractions in the UML. lets say you have your game UML and you are mapping out all the components. instead of showing all of their Render engine components, they would simply put a box and label it "renderer". this prevents huge webs. but then this also implies more then one uml document for each level of abstraction.
---------Coming soon! Microcosm II.
so they don't have half a mile of paper but a trailer of sheets? when someone shouts: I need to se the render diagram he gets an answer:

you can find it container A13, section 37, cabinet CS4, folders B-3 and B-4

just joking ;-)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement