Tri Strips and normals

Started by
0 comments, last by superpig 18 years, 9 months ago
Ok, im trying to determine if I should turn my meshes into triangle strips. I currently have everything rendered by triangles not strips so it I have normals for each vertex for each face. I am not sure if the normals would be different for vertices sharing the same face, but im pretty sure it is a possibility. While I probably do not need that increased detail at that cost. Also say i do decide to stripify my faces how to a make the corrosponding normal and texture verts? I assume I have to "stripify" them also by putting the corrosponding normals at the same indicies into the array as the vertex and such. Just making sure I cover the bases before I code this. Also are there any programs out there that will create strips for me? thanks Also, what size would be a good size limit for a strip, should I have a limit, or make the strip as long as possible? -THACO
Advertisement
NVTriStrip will make strips for you.

In general, the way I do things is to consider a vertex that has different normals or texture coordinate sets to be more than one vertex (i.e. if a vertex is shared by three faces that have different normals and the edges are sharp, treat it as three vertices).

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement