OpenGL VS. DirectX

Started by
8 comments, last by Oluseyi 18 years, 9 months ago
Which is better, I want to know their advantages and disadvantages. Also, from what I've seen, I think that I might stick to OpenGL, as I haven't found that many things about DirectX.
The best thing to do is just choose whatever you think you'd prefer, and go for it. -Promit
Advertisement
here we go again...
Go on with OpenGL... Whatever you learn is good...

I think OpenGL is a better place to learn the concepts cause its syntax is easier than that of Directx and its capabilities are great too..

That's because DirectX is owned by Microsoft, and OpenGL is open-source (or something like that). So the only way to use DX is if you are using Windows. The only one I've ever actually used is DX, so I can say that it is rather easy to work with (only a small number of essential function calls, you can get to everything else when your ready). I can't speak for OpenGL directly, but since it is open-source, you may have an easier time getting it to work with your compiler, but I've heard that you have to write a lot of your own functions with OpenGL.
------------------------------Support the Blue Skies in Games Campaign!A blog... of sorts.As a general rule, if you don't have a general rule in your signature, you aren't as awesome as someone who does. General rules roxor teh big one one ones.
Then, for DX, do you have to write your own functions a lot?
Also, to you, is it easy to understand?
The best thing to do is just choose whatever you think you'd prefer, and go for it. -Promit
Wow, this feels redundant...

I feel it's my duty here to point out that OpenGL is NOT open source! I honestly don't know why this myth is so popular, but it is. The "Open" in OpenGL reffers to the fact that it is an open standard, which many different companies can contribute to and which is avalible to anyone who cares to make an implementation of it (such as ATI and Nvidia).

Please please please stop spreading the misinformation that OpenGL is open source! It's not any more open source than DirectX.
// The user formerly known as Tojiro67445, formerly known as Toji [smile]
If you know GL then stick with it unless you want to get into the gaming industry, then knowing DX does have value. Other than that, Gl VS DX threads are usually closed.
No no no no! :)
Quote:Original post by orcfan32
Then, for DX, do you have to write your own functions a lot?
Also, to you, is it easy to understand?

OpenGL is probably easier to understand. However, I've found that you very quickly end up needing to write functions that Direct3D already provides. For example, OpenGL has very little in the way of math support, and it has no built in way to load mesh files. Direct3D's D3DX library does both of these things, along with a whole slew of other functionality that doesn't come with OpenGL.

There are really a lot of tradeoffs. Some people start with Direct3D first, crash, and then go to OpenGL and succeed. Some people start with Direct3D and have no problems at all. Some people start with OpenGL and are perfectly happy, and some people start with OpenGL and quickly move to Direct3D. The best thing to do is just choose whatever you think you'd prefer, and go for it.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Quote:
The best thing to do is just choose whatever you think you'd prefer, and go for it.

Then it's DX for me.
It's in the Forum FAQ.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement