Sign in to follow this  
Choix

Pure Novice. Looking For Engine/Network Info.

Choix    122
Okay I found this site a while ago but have only recently had the time to follow up on what I wanted to produce. Basically I’m setting my sights small but I want to make sure I do it all correctly the way a real company would go about it, for example using the right engine for the job. I have built allot of static objects and character models etc in 3DStudio max and now its time I want to put it all together in a virtual world. Now this is where I struggle you see on the art side I’m quite confident in my skills but I have no knowledge of anything to do with engines and networking etc. First of all I want to know a suitable engine for a MMORPG I don’t expect the scale of 1000's may be only a few of my close friends will ever connect but the point is I want it to have that potential if that is possible since that is how the game itself would work with ALOT of players. I know that these MMORPG's run on a client and a server I don’t know what specifically they involve or if it’s possible on any public engines to achieve this the way these companies do, (As you can see I am a great novice at anything on the programming or network side). However how little I do know I am very willing to learn I mean seriously if you guys know anything you must have learned it from somewhere right? So I’m asking for you to point me to where you learned it or share your knowledge and may be show me some possibilities on engines to use etc. Note: I remember reading about Torque it kind of looked nice but they advertised there networking to be that of a few hundred I’m not sure if this can be modified since when you buy Torque you get the source code but as you have guessed by now I personally wouldn’t know where to begin. Another thing is there surely must be some guides about for these engines since I find it very hard to belive every one out there is making there game by trial and error.

Lacutis    301
You know nothing about progamming and networking and you are setting your sights "small" by making a MMORPG?

I would suggest you read the stickies at the top of this forum as well as the 'For Beginners' link at the top of the page. MMORPG's are one of, if not the most complicated game types to create. Starting realistically and setting your sights small would be doing a pong clone. Then perhaps adding networking to it.

Also, on the Help Wanted forum there is a stickied thread entitled, "Making Games Isn't Easy." I would suggest you read that as well.

You aren't going to find a "MMORPG in a box" thats going to let you plop your models in and run, it really doesn't work that way. It takes a lot of hard work and dedication to develop the skills necessary to program a game, much less a MMORPG.

Don't get discouraged, and have fun. Programming isn't for everyone.

Choix    122
You see this is what I meen. I already had got my landscape and models running in a primitive way using UnrealED with some help from a friend it was all there appart from the camera was first person and w/e pretty much all I want to aheive for now was there and it wasnt very difficult possibly because he was there helping me. Like I say I am more of an artist than a coder so that question more than likely had to seem possibly one of the most stupidest things on this board, but you see I honestly didnt know that I thought it would be similar to how we mocked it up in UnrealED and may be somthing independant that connects multiple clients hehe.

So I appologise for the stupidity of my post may be there needs to be a super novice section or somthing.. But yes I am determined tocontinue I have 8 weeks of from college currently to sit down and get to work and im will continue in my free time after that so il take a look at those stickies you mentioned. Yes I was indeed looking for actualy program to make it easyer on myself in my tasks like UnrealED and how that works.

Sorry again.

Lacutis    301
No need to apologize.

This is what I would suggest to you. Join an existing project in need of a model designer. In exchange you will get the opportunity to see how a project runs, and you will be able to take a look at the source code, and see how things work. While you are doing that, I would look up the beginner tutorials that I pointed to, and read them.

In addition to that, I would suggest you read something like Thinking in CPP, Second Edition. It's a good book, its free, and well, it's free.

Good luck.