DirectX9.0 April Update

Started by
4 comments, last by Mezz 18 years, 9 months ago
I've only just upgraded to DirectX9.0 and I also downloaded and upgraded to the April SDK update. When I ran an old project VC++ couldn't link to DInput8.lib correctly. When I looked in tools\options -> directories I saw that it was including DX9 library files from DX9SDK\LIB\x86. This folder contains DInput8.lib but it still wouldnt link properly. I changed the folder to DX9SDK\LIB and it links and compiles properly but am I losing any added functionality that may have been added to the x86 folder from the April update? Basically, am I ok to look for DX9 in \LIB rather than \LIB\x86? - I haven't started any new projects with DX9 as that would mean changing my whole framework files (which are based on DX8.1) and I don't want to tackle this yet. I don't know if new projects would encounter the same problem or whether my real problem lies with my includes in old projects. As I understood it DirectX is backwards compatible so I assumed that upgrading to a newer version would still allow my projects to run from DX8.1 code, just with any additional features that were added to DX9, is this not the case or am I just experiencing set-up teething problems?
Advertisement
Did you remove the SDK you were using before installing the April one? There should be no library files in the /lib folder, only in the /x86 and /x64 ones.

Also, what compiler are you using?
The April SDK does not support Visual C++ 6.0.

I didnt remove the previous SDK and the problem is with the compiler, its VC++6.0.

Ok, I'm not going to change my compiler so sticking to the original DX9 SDK will be fine won't it?
Yeah you'll have to stick with the original SDK releases (I think you might be able to get up to Summer 2004, I believe that's the last one which supported VC 6.0).

-Mezz
Quote:Original post by Mezz
Yeah you'll have to stick with the original SDK releases (I think you might be able to get up to Summer 2004, I believe that's the last one which supported VC 6.0).

-Mezz

The October 2004 SDK with the extras package is the last VC6 supporting SDK.

I stand corrected :)

-Mezz

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement