Sign in to follow this  

Microsoft in Mobile market

This topic is 4503 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I heard in some where that MicroSoft is planing to release a Windows version for mobile divices in near future. what do you think? will they capitalized in the market as they did in PCs? should begineers like us start learning their framework if we are plaining to be in Mobile Game market?

This already happened. IIRC, it's pretty much just a reworking of WinCE for a smaller screen and (possibly) more limited input interface. It's definitely not a bad idea to know the WinCE framework, but it's not currently taking the mobile world by storm.

My feeling is that if Microsoft wants to have a big presense in mobile, they're going to have to buy a few major companies. I get a sense that a lot of the companies involved in the mobile space (some of which have comparable clout to Microsoft) understandably don't want Microsoft competing in this arena, and aren't likely to give them much of a foothold.

Microsoft has two different flavours of the Windows Mobile brand:
* Pocket PC for PDA sized devices
* Smartphone for cell phone size devices

I think that the Windows Mobile is on the rise. They are already big in the PDA market, but still somewhat small in the cell phone market.

One thing that will help Microsoft grow on the mobile market is that if you already know Win32/MFC/.NET from Windows you can use this knowledge directly on Windows Mobile. There are a lot of potential Windows Mobile-developers out there!

Another important asepect is that Windows is used on the majority of the desktops and the Windows Mobile can seamlessly interact with the desktop operating system, like reading Word and Excel documents and synchronize with Outlook.

/roq
http://roq.blogspot.com

what you heard is that MS will release their next gen Windows CE version (5.0), currently the newest version is Windows Mobile 2003SE (afaik) and the problem with it is that it doesnt support stuff like cameras and other HW (through APIs), direct access to 3d chips (through something similar to DX8) etc. and other stuff i dont know about :)
Atm you can already dload and install the NET compact framework and run apps through that... or get the embedded VC4.0 plus all the SDKs you need (for free!) and start writing your apps and games. But you will have to compile an executable for every chipset your app has to run on...

T2k

Actually the new OS (windows mobile 5) is already released, although no devices running it are in sale. The new OS has a flavor of directx if you want to program games for it..

You will need vs2005 and activesync 4.0 for it to work

Windows Mobile 5

It also depend on the Symbian OS policy. If Symbian alienate enough small/hobby developers with their licensisng schemes(symbian signed, non-free developer registartion) they will flock to Win Mobile. In fact it's more easy to port from Symbian to Win32 then in the opposite direction.

This topic is 4503 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.