Sign in to follow this  

Chuckie Egg - Hen Movement

This topic is 4532 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Only if seeded with a constant. It looks like you're right as when you take or add a hen the behaviour changes.

But then that begs the question 'randon to what degree?'.

I mean for example:
Is a descision to take ladder a 1/2 probability ?
What about to go up or down that ladder? Is that 5/7 chance? What happens if it can't go up, does it ignore the ladder and keep on truckin' or go down it instead?
Does the probability vary for each hen?

hmmm, intriguing no? (<-- don't answer that;).

Quote:
Only if seeded with a constant. It looks like you're right as when you take or add a hen the behaviour changes.

Or not seeded at all.

Quote:
But then that begs the question 'randon to what degree?'.

Psudorandom.

Quote:
I mean for example:
Is a descision to take ladder a 1/2 probability ?
What about to go up or down that ladder? Is that 5/7 chance?
What happens if it can't go up, does it ignore the ladder and keep on truckin' or go down it instead?
Does the probability vary for each hen?

Most likely.

I don't know where did you get that number.

They can allways move up or down, unless of course if the ladder ends, there is no collision detection.

I don't think so.

If you are talking about the origional BBC version of the game?, then its movement wasn't random as such, at all. I know this because me and some friends played it endlessly back then and it turned out that every level of the game, if you done the same moves, you got the same hen movement. So there was patterns to completing each level. :)

But it was more like emergent behavioural patterns, rather than prefix paths. The hens seeked goals, one of which I think was the player.

Quote:
Original post by xor
Or not seeded at all.

Same thing. When I was a kid we used to have races and we could only get the 9 seconds scores because the behviour was predictable.

Quote:
Psudorandom.

what! on a computer, psudorandom! never! :p (hehe)

Quote:
I don't know where did you get that number.

Made it up. But random numbers are used as triggers, giving actions a probability of happening i.e. in C 'rand()%2' gives 50/50 prob, 'rand()%5' a 1/5 chance, etc. But you allready know that.

Quote:
They can allways move up or down, unless of course if the ladder ends

Of course they can, but what is the controlling factor that decides whether they move up or down? The numbers are looking like they're 2 based.

Alan, man I loved figuring out those paterns when I was kid, just wish I could remember them ;) But I don't think the hens seeked goals, they just pottered about, but that big bad-ass swan did, grr. that damned swan.

Its to far back for me to remember if they seeked the player for sure (and I'm feeling old for being able to remember it at all! ;) ... but I think they did move towards the player's platform height, by taking the nearest ladders. (I remember moving lower down the ladders for example and the hens moving after me in that general direction).

I don't think they need random decision logic to give the chaotic movements. They just need to bounce off blank ends of the platforms and take ladders which move them nearer the player.

Yeah I had forgotten about the Swan. I remember now that it could be cleared by timing a jump from the top to clear all the eggs on one side at a time... but yeah a very difficult level. :)

I broke Chuckie Egg back then - I finished levels until the difficulty stopped increasing and I overloaded the score counter. I'm pretty sure the small hens moved in a predictable predetermined way, and were not influenced by the player's actions - I mostly knew what they were going to do. The flying duck also was very predictable, but it did follow the player.

This topic is 4532 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.