Sign in to follow this  

Need help ... picking first game ...

This topic is 4535 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello ... I am having some trubble deciding what kind of game( C++ ) to make as my first, would you guys help me ? My Xp - All the tutorials on C++ ( www.Gametutorials.com ) up to Stacks and linked lists <- I get them pretty good, but not fluently :-) so to speak. - Made som basic text games ... like Win32 Console Projects with text... ahh lemme give you a demo* /Game start/ - Your standard DOS like window - /Game start/ Choose your character ! Theif / crappy story / + no fights, just walking around using coord variables ... You get it ?? Pretty ... lame heh - Can setup SDL in VS2003

Quote:
Original post by Lacutis
Pong.

Seconded. I'm working a on Pong clone right now with allegro. I've been working on it for quite awhile now, and it's actually been "fun" working on it.

Quote:
Original post by TIMPAN
Well ... I have tried to setup Allegro but it just CRASHES ...
So SDL ... will it do ?

oh, definitely. Pong is so simple, I'm finding it hard to imagine an API that CANNOT be used to make pong.

Oki... DOS ... ( Duke Nukem 3d :-) ) <- good --

so you all guys would make pong, after you've done All basic Win32 Console games ?
or would you continue and learn windows programming ( MFC ?? I think it is called that ? ) you know forms and stuff ...

Quote:
Original post by Oberon_Command
SDL will be perfect. I wouldn't use Allegro if my life depended on it, it's too messy for me. Not only that, it's based on DOS...

Gah! When will this ubiquitous misconception be finally banished?!

Allegro is _NOT_ based on DOS. The majority of Allegro's code is platform-independent, with specific, modular subsystems to let it run on a number of platforms including (though not limited to) Windows 95-98-00-XP, DOS, PPC, and *Nix.

Allegro _IS_ (as the acronym, Allegro Low Level Gaming Routines, implies) a low-level library to assist you in designing games. Messy? Depends on what you mean by that. The functions are not sorted out into classes or namespaces according to categories, or even prefixed. Why do that? Allegro transparently makes the basic concepts of I/O available -- to borrow a concept, it's "task-based" rather than "application-based". (Got that here.)

*Ahem*. [Gets off soapbox]
Don't mean to be overbearing or anything. SDL is great too. I just happen to prefer Allegro.

Make pong.... In the console ;)
Theres no reason you can't make pong in a console.

Whether you learn allegro or sdl or windows forms is up to you.
If you want to make games I would switch to a graphic api (allegro or sdl) and not mess with the windows forms until you want to make a windows application.

Quote:
Original post by TIMPAN

Hello ...

I am having some trubble deciding what kind of game( C++ ) to make as my first, would you guys help me ?

My Xp

- All the tutorials on C++ ( www.Gametutorials.com ) up to Stacks and linked lists <- I get them pretty good, but not fluently :-) so to speak.

- Made som basic text games ... like Win32 Console Projects with text... ahh lemme give you a demo*

/Game start/ - Your standard DOS like window - /Game start/

Choose your character !
Theif

/ crappy story / + no fights, just walking around using coord variables ...

You get it ?? Pretty ... lame heh

- Can setup SDL in VS2003
Go to the nehe website and check out the opengl tutorials there. Use opengl to create Pong.

After looking at the posts in this thread i found out more ppl suggested pong. :)

I think pong would be an awesome place to start. I made pong along time ago when I was learning from GameTutorials like you did. I taught me alot, currently I'm working on a ascii breakout game with a level editor in console for my last ascii game before I move to DirectX. All the stuff I learned from pong helped me out enough to make my current project. = ]

But yea, I vote for Pong! Plus its such a fun game to make, you can even make in networked so you and your friends can play.

Good luck on all your future endeavors!

I'd strongly suggest you make the best game you can with the Win32-console.

A text-based game will give you a real test of your programming and design skills without "leaping in at the deep end" with a Windows-API project.

You could make a simple game such as a menu-based game or a text-adventure of yester-year.

Good luck!

Why does everyone say that they HAVE to start with what they started with? Let him choose, don't say "L1k3 d00d m4n, u'z g0tz 2 start wit pong! it be 1337!!11!!1!!!!!1! it so 00b3r!!!1!!"

He will choose what he chooses.

Quote:
Original post by orcfan32
Why does everyone say that they HAVE to start with what they started with? Let him choose, don't say "L1k3 d00d m4n, u'z g0tz 2 start wit pong! it be 1337!!11!!1!!!!!1! it so 00b3r!!!1!!"

I'm sorry, but I was under the impression that when someone asked a question in a thread, they intend for people to answer it. Had I known that in fact we shouldn't answer it I wouldn't have posted.

Thank you for your blazing insight.

Good suggestions include Pong ( fairly easily expanded to Breakout afterwoulds if you'd like [wink]), Snake, and Tic-Tac-Toe (which can be done very nicely in the console if you'd like).

Beyond that, some slightly more complex suggestions include Tetris and Pacman clones, or perhaps Asteroids.

SDL would be fine to work with, I'd say go ahead with it. Some alternatives include Allegro (which you appear to have ruled out) or the Win32 GDI (Win32 Tutorial. Many of these suggestions could also be created in the console if you were so inclined.

I would suggest you not bother with MFC for now, it isn't particularly useful for games programming (except perhaps for tools), so only look into it if you particularly want to use it or need to learn it for some other reason (such as school). As a side note, I'm not saying MFC is useless for games - you can do some fine things with it, but there are definately better suited tools around for the job.

My personal suggestion for your first graphical game is Pong, followed by Breakout.

Hope that helps. [smile]

Thanks for all the replies ... gosh :-), Well I have decide one thing for sure : and that is not to try to do it in MFC hehe ... like some people warned me about --- My new computer will arrive soon so I will do some tuts before I bite the meat of this creature you call Mr.Pong ... (ye ye I mean the GAME blip-blop-blip )

Next week on friday :-) !!! my computer

Spec > AMD S939 Athlon64 3700+, nForce4, 1024MB, X850XT PCI-Ex, DVD±R/RW

NOT THAT I THINK I NEED SO MUCH POWER TO MAKE PONG :-)

~Only need my trusty C++ VS.2003 compiler ( got it from school )

And thanks again for all replies !!!

Quote:
Original post by Lacutis
Quote:

I'm sorry, but I was under the impression that when someone asked a question in a thread, they intend for people to answer it. Had I known that in fact we shouldn't answer it I wouldn't have posted.

Thank you for your blazing insight.

What I'm getting at is, when you reply, give him a good list of reasons he should start with it. Don't say "1t'5 1ik3 d4 0nly w4y 2 g0!!1!" And when I mean GOOD LIST i mean like at least a paragraph of 4 - 7 sentences.

Quote:

What I'm getting at is, when you reply, give him a good list of reasons he should start with it. Don't say "1t'5 1ik3 d4 0nly w4y 2 g0!!1!" And when I mean GOOD LIST i mean like at least a paragraph of 4 - 7 sentences.

So, like you did when you commented on the posts in the thread?
Seriously, noone in this thread replied at all the way you are representing, and the only unhelpful post up till that point was yours. I think you need to step back and take your own advice. The people who post in these threads do so on their own time, and at their own discretion. Sometimes people don't have 10 mins to come up with a short story to explain their point of view. However, even though my reply was short, I did give several reasons why it was one of the best choices of those available given his experience.

So anyway, whatever, I hope you had fun overreacting and modding people down. Just remember that the way you respond to people in threads is taken into consideration by people when you ask your own questions.

Is that a long enough reply for you?

This topic is 4535 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.