Need help ... picking first game ...

Started by
24 comments, last by _Renegade_ 18 years, 9 months ago
Hello ... I am having some trubble deciding what kind of game( C++ ) to make as my first, would you guys help me ? My Xp - All the tutorials on C++ ( www.Gametutorials.com ) up to Stacks and linked lists <- I get them pretty good, but not fluently :-) so to speak. - Made som basic text games ... like Win32 Console Projects with text... ahh lemme give you a demo* /Game start/ - Your standard DOS like window - /Game start/ Choose your character ! Theif / crappy story / + no fights, just walking around using coord variables ... You get it ?? Pretty ... lame heh - Can setup SDL in VS2003
Advertisement
Pong.

Real time control, coordinate based collision detection, basic physics, little rubber balls. It's got it all.
So ... should I do that in like ... umm with the SDL lib ?
Quote:Original post by Lacutis
Pong.

Real time control, coordinate based collision detection, basic physics, little rubber balls. It's got it all.

agreed.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

Quote:Original post by Lacutis
Pong.

Seconded. I'm working a on Pong clone right now with allegro. I've been working on it for quite awhile now, and it's actually been "fun" working on it.
--------------------------------A man of few words does not mean he does not have big ideas
Quote:Original post by TIMPAN
So ... should I do that in like ... umm with the SDL lib ?

sure, if that's what you're studying.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

Well ... I have tried to setup Allegro but it just CRASHES ...
So SDL ... will it do ?
Quote:Original post by TIMPAN
Well ... I have tried to setup Allegro but it just CRASHES ...
So SDL ... will it do ?

oh, definitely. Pong is so simple, I'm finding it hard to imagine an API that CANNOT be used to make pong.

Sorry for the dubble post but ... I had to awnser ... no I am not studding SDL.
I just want to learn to program C++.
SDL will be perfect. I wouldn't use Allegro if my life depended on it, it's too messy for me. Not only that, it's based on DOS...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement