Sign in to follow this  

Some more SDL tutorials

This topic is 4526 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've added some new SDL tutorials to my site. There are the obligatory setup, draw graphics, and handle input tutorials. There's also tutorials on using SDL_ttf for drawing text and SDL_gfx for drawing primitives. You'll find the new tutorials under 2D Game Tutorials. If you see any errors, please let me know. My email is "aaroncox1234@hotmail.com". Please don't bug me about putting my email on the net like this. If I didn't get spam, I'd never get emails. -Aaron

One thing with the sdl_ttf. I downloaded the ttf zip for windows from sdl's site and there was only a sdl_ttf.dll file in the zip file I think there should also be a header any idea on this?

Quote:
Original post by Grahf750
One thing with the sdl_ttf. I downloaded the ttf zip for windows from sdl's site and there was only a sdl_ttf.dll file in the zip file I think there should also be a header any idea on this?

You have to DL the development zip:
http://www.libsdl.org/projects/SDL_ttf/release/SDL_ttf-devel-2.0.7-VC6.zip

Hey Rob,

Not sure if I'll write a tutorial for SDL_mixer since Joel's already written one. His tutorials are really good so there's not much point in me covering the same things.

I've been on a scripting kick lately with UT2004 and Dawn of War, but when I get back to tutorials I'm probably going to cover some basic game programming stuff and maybe some math. We'll see.

As for Hexed's question, I think you'd run into trouble with that but I'm not sure. I don't have SDL set up at work so I'll have to wait til I get home to try it out. I'll let you know how it goes.

-Aaron

Quote:
Original post by Hexed
Hey do you know if it's possible to use SDL_ttf along side SDL_opengl? That would be convenient.
C-Junkie posted a nice quick article entitled Using SDL_ttf with OpenGL which might go over what you're looking for.

A lot of people lately have been having troubles getting basic animation in SDL working. I think it's due to the fact that they go through the terribly written Cone3D tutorials which miss, in my opinion, crucial information about design.

This topic is 4526 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.