Help on Win32 programming

Started by
7 comments, last by jbadams 18 years, 9 months ago
Hi! Well,I´m starting Win32 programming so I can make more decent games,with a graphic interface and stuff,and I´d like to know where I could find good sources of information about it,like Internet tutorials or books.But I´d rather use tutorials on the Net because I´m short on money ^_~ Anyway,don´t tell me to go look at MSDN library because that place isn´t really for beginners XD Thanks in advance, Carol
Advertisement
Win32 programming isn't for beginners. Unless you mean the MSDN Library isn't for Win32 beginners, in which case I disagree. You just have to find the right category -- for example, Win32 & COM Development > User Interface > Windows User Experience > Windows Management > Windows User Interface > Windowing > Windows > Windows Overview > Using Windows shows you how to create a window; then look in Win32 & COM Development > Graphics & Multimedia > GDI for the basic graphical display functions. Microsoft created Windows; the MSDN Library is where they tell you how to program it. That's where I learned. Just search for what you need, or dig around in the menu tree.

But anyway, I don't recommend using the Win32 API directly for making games; you should try a library such as SDL or Allegro. They give you excellent platform-independent functionality at the call of a function.

Cheers,
Twilight Dragon
{[JohnE, Chief Architect and Senior Programmer, Twilight Dragon Media{[+++{GCC/MinGW}+++{Code::Blocks IDE}+++{wxWidgets Cross-Platform Native UI Framework}+++
One of the "best" in my humble opinion. theForger
If I were you, I would try to learn OpenGL. A good place to start is the NeHe tutorials at http://nehe.gamedev.net/.

Mike C.
http://www.coolgroups.com/zoomer
Mike C.http://www.coolgroups.com/zoomer/http://www.coolgroups.com/ez/
I would go with something a little simpler than OpenGL. I suggest SDL.

EDIT: you can find some more SDL tutorials here.

printf("C++ 4 Lifen");

I'm a GL guy.
Hi there!
Thanks for the help,I decided to start learning SDL.It seems a LOT easier than Win32 XD. Anyway,I didn´t mean that MSDN isn´t an excellent source,but it is difficult sometimes for someone who is learning about graphical resources for the first time to understand what they say there.It´s just my opinion,though ^.^
I'm in a similar situation, too. If I learned SDL, would I be able to make a GUI for a game I want to make? For any of you who have played it, I'd be particularly hoping to make a GUI similar to Football Manager 2005 or the Championship Manager series.

Thanks in advance.
My favourite:" Hi, I'm John Doe Jr. I am 14 years old and I know Perl, PHP, HTML, Java, C, C++, Basic, Fortran, Pascal, Ada, SmallTalk, Lisp/Scheme, Python, Modula, Algol, Simula, Haskell, Forth, Curry, Prolog, SQL, Tcl,..... ..... Sed and Awk. Now I am getting bored, and want to learn another language. Which one should I learn now? "
Quote:Original post by Clotty
I'm in a similar situation, too. If I learned SDL, would I be able to make a GUI for a game I want to make? For any of you who have played it, I'd be particularly hoping to make a GUI similar to Football Manager 2005 or the Championship Manager series.

Thanks in advance.

Of course you could, it would actually take about the same amount of effort to do it in SDL as it would with the Win32 API, because you would still need to implement the stuff yourself (the Win32 API only really supports one overall "style" of interface, so if you wanted the game to have a custom look, you'd have to do it yourself anyway). SDL will simplify the task, but you'll still have to implement quite a bit yourself (unless you use somebody else's code).
There's an excellent Win32 Tutorial site here for anyone who may be interested.

Clotty: Shouldn't be a problem once you've learned how to use SDL effectively. I havn't actually played the games mentioned, but from a quick Google for some screenshots I don't really see anything that should cause you immense problems in SDL.

- Jason Astle-Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement