Marching cubes patent (again)

Started by
6 comments, last by slack 18 years, 8 months ago
Hi! I'm working on a 3d rendering algorithm where I'm dividing a cube with a plane, potentially subdividing depending on how the cube has been cut and then triangulizing the remaining part. The triangulizing part reminded me of the marching cubes algorithm so I started to wonder: What's the state of the marching cubes patent? I can't seem to find any info - only a link to an IBM page. I guess this isn't touched by that patent since it's based on cutting a cube with a plane, but I'm thinking about using the marching cubes algo later on so it would be nice to know if I'll have to pay for it...
Advertisement
I think it's set to expire soon, but I don't recall the exact date. That said, marching tetrahedra is better and patent free. Also look for dual-space contouring, which appeared to be a better technique than either of these two.
Thanks!
As far as I know the Marching cubes patent has already expired.
No no no no! :)
The marching cubes patent has indeed expired recently, I didn't know it until I looked it up just now. That's excellent. In my opinion the marching cubes algo looks better than the tetrahedra, especially if the field gradient is steep. The errors it produces are more "symmetrical", and it uses fewer polygons.

edit: FYI the expiration date was 6/5/2005, ie. last month.
Wow thats awesome, I didn't realised it was expired, excellent news!
Thanks alot :)
I've also been watching the calendar on MC ;). And speaking of it, does anyone know of a good, simple implementation of it besides VTK?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement